AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about better soundproofing of home theater rather late in the game. Its really only the 3 small rooms underneath that need to think about. Rockwool is already specced but I am thinking maybe I should think about resilient bars and double slab drywall for the ceilings of the rooms below. The thing is, is that the drywall stud walls of the rooms below have already gone up, attached to the floor joists of the Home theater. Seeing as the walls of the rooms below are can conduct vibration from the theater room floor, is there any point in using resilient bars and double slab drywall on the ceilings of these 3 rooms. ie is the sound from the home theater just going to bypass the double slab resilient bar ceilings and vibrate out through the stub walls of the rooms rendering the ceiling treatment a waste of time?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You would still receive benefit from the resilient installation of plasterboard to the ceiling. What would concern me is the test ratings of the channel as well as installation accuracy.

Has that particular brand of channel been tested to hold the load of all that plasterboard? Simply because it is sold does not mean it will hold.

Perhaps that particular brand of channel follows a broader spec and it's the broader spec that has been tested and rated. "This channel is manufactured in accordance to the spec outlined in XYZ building code..."

Lastly, these channels are ubiquitously installed incorrectly here in the States. Perhaps 85% of the time according to the manufacturers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts