AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, without pulling the subs out of the box (I have 2 Infinity 1262w in a sealed box, 2.5^ft enclosure). I thought they were wired series/parallel and being 4 ohm DVC to a single speakOn 4 pole. When putting them to an ohmmeter, I am getting 2 ohms. I have been using this setup over a year with a Crown XLS1000. It was okay, but recently I purchased an Art box to cleanup a laptop ground loop problem with my separate little DJ setup. Was testing it on the Sony receiver LFE output and OMG, I have bass. Apparently the LFE was not driving the amp very well. At the time of putting this enclosure together, I assume everything was fine and probably still if fine. Does the 2 ohm sound right for these subs if they are in fact 4 ohm DVC?

·
Registered
333 Posts
An Ohm meter will read DC resistance NOT impedance.

Typically DCR is approximately 80% of nominal impedance.

2 ohm DCR seems low.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Nope. Should only be able to get a 1 or 4 ohm load.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
You can't read impedance with a meter, only DC resistance. The DCR of the 1262 coils are listed as 1.8 ohms each. BTW, that normally would be considered 3 ohms impedance, not 4.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I know all about impedance and the complexities that arise with AC measurements. The DC resistance of 1.8 would be 1\[1/(1.8+1.8)+1/(1.8+1.8)]=1.8 ohms on the meter. Add .2 ohms for wire (measuring at the end of wire at the amp) and call it series/parallel. Was just confused on getting the ohm measurement. Normally I would have this on one channel of my amp and another 10" 4 ohm DVC to load the other side (input y mode), that voice coil is wired for parallel and will only take around 300W rms in its ported enclosure. Now that I am bridging out my amp just to these, I am at risk of blowing the subs. That will only take an estimated 700w rms. Amp specs:

Stereo

2-ohm 4-ohm 8-ohm

550W 350W 215W

Bridged

4-ohm 8-ohm

1,100W 700W

Now that I know how they are wired, I can limit the gain or get a bigger amp to run them back in stereo mode (input y) and start another project that will load the other side of the amp at a similar wattage to these

1 - 6 of 6 Posts