AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, this is my first post/topic here, (have been a loyal reader for a couple months) and I've got a question my friend and I were wondering about.

Can you turn a 6 ohm speaker into an 8 ohm speaker by wiring a 2 ohm resistor in series with it?? Would the increased resistance in that loop raise the impedance of the speaker?

Also, if that does not work, why is it bad to use speakers of different impedance off the same crossover? Or was I given a bum steer in that regard?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the 2 ohms in series with the speaker will make it 8. I believe it will change the effective Qts of the driver. Since 2 ohms is more than what is normally encountered from just inductors and cabling it might have a significant effect. The resistor will also have to dissipate a lot of power. It will also degrade the damping provided by the amplifier.

There's no specific reason you can't use speakers of different impedance in a crossover. The impedance seen by the amplifier will just vary with frequency. Just make sure that the filter sections are designed properly.

For example with 6 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter, calculate the low-pass filter for 6 ohms and the high-pass for 4 ohms.

It may become more important to use an l-pad network to attenuate one of the drivers if they will have different sensitivities (SPL). The dB/2.83V spec is the one you should look at when the driver impedances don't match, not the dB/Watt spec.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see. So it's the same concept as changing one of the LC components- the different values just change the makeup of the circuit and make for different currents/charges, etc in different places....

Thanks very much, i think I'm out of questions

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If you really want to change the impedance of a speaker, a transformer is the correct way to do it, though even that will have some effect on the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.