AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really set on getting one of the $3,000-$4,000 1080p projectors, but then I remembered that someone told me that I need at least 12FL (foot lumens?).

On the projector calculator, none of the 1080p projectors provide enough lumens, so Im confused as to which projector should I get.

On top of that, the 1080p projectors have less compatability resolutions than some of the other 720p's Ive seen. Can anyone explain whats the difference between projectors that just say 1080 and 720 compatability, without the extra 60,50,30?,24 fps ability behind the different resolution compatabilites? Why do some pj's have so many more fps and resolution compatabilities than others, especially considering the more expensive ($3-5,000) 1080p pj's do not?

Please let me know what to think about the different resolution compatabilities of some projectors versus others and also how do I go about picking a good projector?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've seen 10-12 FtL (foot-lamberts) recommended for brightness at the screen. A typical CRT television is about 25 FtL, for reference.

To figure foot-lamberts at the screen, divide ANSI lumens of the projector by screen area (in square feet), and multiply the result by screen gain (approx. 1.0 for blackout cloth, other materials may be higher or lower). When calculating, remember that USABLE lumens (i.e. what you have after calibration) will be significantly less than the advertised "maximum lumens."

As for FPS ability, it is certainly nice when this is specified. Otherwise, you don't really know what the PJ can do. 24, 48, and/or 72 FPS capability is an advantage, as this can eliminate "judder" when viewing film-based content (i.e. most movies). Search that term (judder) for more info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.