AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit new to HDTV and am unclear about the various resolutions options and what can display them. This is probably a pretty basic question, but I would appreciate any guidance available.

I'm considering a variety of HDTV display options but am confused by the various resolutions available with HDTV – both from the source and display perspectives. In general, I seem to find that most HDTV RPTVs offer 480i, 480p and 1080i. I've seen quite a few projectors that also offer 720p. If I understand correctly - most 480 (i and p) sources material comes from DVD. Will most RPTVs also display 720p (if provided a source at that resolution) - and if so, is the source HDDVD/HDTV/Other?

Further - I've read several articles that indicate that a Home Theater PC with the proper software will allow you to output quite a number of different resolutions (again - both p and I). I have been looking at several Mitsubishi models as well as the Sony XBR options (all in 16:9 - of course) and would hate to make an investment and not have the flexibility.

Any assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Currently DTV broadcast stations are transmitting standard definition video at 480i or 480p. Standard DVD players provide essentially 480i and progressive scan DVD players provide 480p output. HDTV transmissions from DTV broadcast stations are for the most part at 1080i with ABC transmitting a few HDTV programs at 720p. Showtime HD and HBO HD both use 1080i format. The other 14 digital broadcast DTV video formats that are allowed are not currently being used by DTV stations or satellite feeds. Most HDTV monitors/projectors convert any of the 18 allowed DTV formats to some fixed format(s) for display. The most common display format is 1080i. Some units will convert the standard definition DTV formats to 540p and the HDTV formats to 1080i for display (both use the same vertical and horizontal scanning rates which simplifies the display's electronics). A few of the HDTV monitors and projectors will also display in 720p format (e.g., some Panasonic HDTV models). CRT based monitors or projectors that are designed for connection to a PC for displaying computer graphics generally have the maximum flexibility to display many different resolutions and refresh rates. However projectors that used LCDs or other fixed resolution imaging devices will have a fixed display resolution and will convery everything to that resolution for display.

I hope this information helps. I have additional information that may be of interest to you on the DTV page of my web site: www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron,

Thanks so much for your response. If I understand you correctly, pretty much any of the CRT based RPTVs (i.e. the Sony KP-57XBR10W) that are currently available would support any number of resolutions.

Do you have any other words of wisdom or things to watch out/wait for (i.e. FireWire, DVI)? I'm starting to look around as my three year old 35" Inteq is on the fritz for the second time in two years - but don't want to rush into anything and end up with another lemon.

Thank you also for the link to your site. I'm pretty interested in putting together a HTPC and want to make sure I do it right - it looks like you have quite a bit documented there - I'm looking forward to reading in more detail.

Best Regards,

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.