AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started playin the PS3 demos at Target etc the resolution would always pop up on the screen "720P ETC..."

None of the games/movies etc have ever showed up etc on my home setup...

Currently hooked up to a Samsung DLP 5667W....Is there anything in set up I can do so it will show when a disc is loaded??

With all the resolution questions going around how can I tell what im viewing games and BD in??

Any help is appreciated..

BM

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Read your Tv's owners Manual, that is a function of the Tv and not the PS3. My Viewsonic does it everytime the signal changes..like going from the XMB at 1080 to 720 if I play RFOM... My Sony KDFE50A10, all I have to do is push the Display button the remote, and it will tell me what the signal is

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Hitachi 60VS810A has an 'Info' button on its remote. Pressing this displays, among other information, the current resolution of the images being viewed. I've not seen information regarding how to display this kinda stuff from the PS3 side of the fence for games. I do know that if you press one of the controller buttons (forgive me I can't remember which one off the top of my head right now) while watching a movie, it displays a HUD type of display that shows audio information, track #, etc.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Just press Display or Info while playing a specific game. It will either

tell you what signal it's accepting NOT displaying. Your TV is set at

a maximum 1280x720p resolution and cannot go beyond that. It can

accept 1080i and display 1080i on the screen but the TV will still

downscale the signal to fit to the native resolution. I am not familiar

with Samsung TV's but in Sony TV's you can see what signal the TV

is accepting by pressing Display button on the remote.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with the "glitch" in the firmware I keep hearing about am I watching BD in 1080i or 480....The movies seem to look great so i'm assuming its probably 1080i..

Am I reading correct that the PS3 cant display BD at the present time in 720P??

bm

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0

Just press Display or Info while playing a specific game. It will either

tell you what signal it's accepting NOT displaying. Your TV is set at

a maximum 1280x720p resolution and cannot go beyond that. It can

accept 1080i and display 1080i on the screen but the TV will still

downscale the signal to fit to the native resolution. I am not familiar

with Samsung TV's but in Sony TV's you can see what signal the TV

is accepting by pressing Display button on the remote.

Would you clarify what you mean by accept 1080i and display 1080i? But downscale to native? If I read what I think you mean is that if you have a 1280x720 then that TV cannot display 1080i? If thats what you mean...you're quite wrong.

If you press the info button your TV should show you what is currently being output to the screen regardless of what input is set as. If you have your tv set to match the input it should output and show "info" button the same as what its recieving. If you manually select what reso you want to show and you send your TV a 1080i signal but you have your TV set to show 720p your set will then convert the 1080 to 720 with its internal scaler.

I would suggest you set your TV to show whatever is being sent unless your TV has problems with one reso or the other.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTON67 /forum/post/0

So with the "glitch" in the firmware I keep hearing about am I watching BD in 1080i or 480....The movies seem to look great so i'm assuming its probably 1080i..

Am I reading correct that the PS3 cant display BD at the present time in 720P??

bm

Your TV cannot display 1080i. It accepts it and downscale it to 720p which

is your TV's native resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* /forum/post/0

Would you clarify what you mean by accept 1080i and display 1080i? But downscale to native? If I read what I think you mean is that if you have a 1280x720 then that TV cannot display 1080i? If thats what you mean...you're quite wrong.

If you press the info button your TV should show you what is currently being output to the screen regardless of what input is set as. If you have your tv set to match the input it should output and show "info" button the same as what its recieving. If you manually select what reso you want to show and you send your TV a 1080i signal but you have your TV set to show 720p your set will then convert the 1080 to 720 with its internal scaler.

I would suggest you set your TV to show whatever is being sent unless your TV has problems with one reso or the other.

The only time you can output 1080i natively is if you have a CRT or a CRT Rear

Projection TV which both have native resolution of 480i/p and 1080i for most

HD CRT TV's. Now, according to his TV, the native resolution is 720p. In this case

it accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and whatever resolution it is will convert back

to 720p. The only time you can have all kinds of resolution is through monitor.

Even if the monitor converts interlaced signal to progressive because monitor

isn't build to have interlaced display.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok...

I guess I was mistaken in that I thought the PS3 could not downscale to 720P and therefore was showing BD in 480..at least until Sony issues a update to correct it??

Honestly Im totally confused about all this...

bm

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
No you misunderstood that. The PS3 does output BD movies at 1080i (if your set doesnt do 1080p) What they are saying is your set takes that 1080i signal and displays it at 720p since 720p is the native resolution.

The PS3 does not do BD movies in 720p at all (yet) on 480p and 1080i/p
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTON67 /forum/post/0

Ah ok...

I guess I was mistaken in that I thought the PS3 could not downscale to 720P and therefore was showing BD in 480..at least until Sony issues a update to correct it??

Honestly Im totally confused about all this...

bm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Due to some mix-up Netflix recently sent me the DVD and BD versions of Sahara. As expected on my 50" Samsung 720p TV the DVD shows as 480p and the BD shows as 1080i.

I am really disappointed though how I can't tell a difference! Movies shown on Universal HD, for example, look better than the BD movies I've seen so far.

Sony ostensibly fixed that initial bug where BD output was 480p (if you don't have a 1080p TV), but I'm still holding out hope that they did something wrong and it'll improve in a later update. For now it looks like 480p upscaled to 1080i...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, if i set my ps3 to output to 720p and try to watch a BD, it displays in 480p (according to my tv). If i set the ps3 to 1080i, it does display in 1080i. I guess this is a glitch that has not been fixed yet. id rather watch an action movie in 720p than 1080i.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz /forum/post/0

No you misunderstood that. The PS3 does output BD movies at 1080i (if your set doesnt do 1080p) What they are saying is your set takes that 1080i signal and displays it at 720p since 720p is the native resolution.

The PS3 does not do BD movies in 720p at all (yet) on 480p and 1080i/p

DITTO

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0

DITTO

A software scaler is in the works that will appear as a firmware update. This update will also allow for SD-DVD upconversion to 720p up to 1080p. I don't like the current situation where I have to change the display settings in the PS3 to 720p only by unchecking 1080i when I want to play PS3 games in their native 720p and then switch it back to 1080i to watch Blu-Ray movies in HD..

SInce my HDTV does an excellent job scaling 1080i down to 720p, I have no loss in image quality when viewing my 50 inch screen at 7 feet or greater when compared to 1080i or 1080p. In other words there is no extra detail I am missing. However if your HDTV does a crummy job taking the 1080i and converting it to 720p, I can see a reason to be upset. Furthermore, I'd like to point out that the PS3 already does an excellent job taking the 1080p24 Blu-Ray movies and converting the signal to 1080i60.. If you have a 1080i HDTV, you will not see any difference watching BD movies when compared to any 1080p HDTV... There would be a difference however if the source Blu-Ray disc was 1080p60 native...

All PS3 owners should get together and sign a petition online or send a letter to get them to fix this issue faster..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.