AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an edit of a reply post on another thread. But I thought it was a discussion starter so here goes.

The screen door on my LP350 was invisible after four feet. The resolution was perfect beyond that distance. Extremely uniform, smooth and detailed. BUT, I thought it was too easily washed out by ambient light, even without comparison to other projectors. I was concerned that an increase in screen door equated to loss of detail or blockiness. Now you see by my recent posts that I tried the Boxlight 38t/Sanyo 21N, sight unseen, and was stupified. The most important thing I learned was that increased color vividness and variation, increased contrast and increased brightness do more to bring out the deatails in the movie I am watching than the fill factor ever did. It's not even close. I am now aware that higher resolution is not as important as contrast, color and brightness in making my picture look real. A good friend of mine, who is an experience photographer, with an experienced and analytic eye, and familiar with grain and detail, etc., looked at my projector yesterday in a relatively high ambient light situation. She advised me that the surfaces and faces looked so real she felt like she wanted to touch them. The detail was such that you knew how each surface would feel, and how it would sound if you tapped it. That kind of "information" for the eyes was never provided by my LP350, though it has the best scaler out there and no screen door from any real viewing distance. I'm now guessing that the D-ILA proponents value the resolution of their machines very highly and equate that resolution with detail and picture quality, as I once did. But these new machines from Sanyo/Boxlight have changed my mind on what my brain needs to notice/recognize and appreciate "detail". It isn't just tiny pixels that are close together. It's the range of how different each of those pixels can look from the next pixel in color, contrast and brightness. I think XGA-LCD provides enough background detail for a 100" diag. 4:3 screen if the color, contrast and brightness hold up their end of the task, as they clearly do in these new LCD's. Thanks.

------------------

Joe (Boy am I sick of reregistering!)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I agree. I think the XP21N is better than the higher resolution PLV-60. Combine with a Panasonic RP91 and a 100" 16:9 Greyhawk, I could not be happier with the results, even during the day with the windows shades open.

[This message has been edited by Jonmx (edited 07-22-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.