AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of purchasing a Plasma 42" monitor. I've noticed that the Sony PFM-42B2 has 1024x1024 resolution. But this seems to me to give a square picture, not on in a 16:9 format.

I'm sure someone has a simple explanation.

Thanks in advance......and any suggestions for 42" or smaller plasma would be appreciated, most viewing is TV, and Dish Network (plan to get DISH HDTV receiver too).

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
ride525:

You're confusing resolution with aspect ratios. The Sony is a 16x9 display and is an ALIS panel. This means it's interlaced and has to scan twice to produce a full frame. Other plasmas present one full frame at a time. Some people really like ALIS and others despise it.

You should get out and have a look at all the 42"/43" plasmas before deciding. The Panasonic panels are generally considered to be the best in that range, but many also like the Pioneers.

If you search the forum, you'll find a wealth of information on all of them, along with comparisons, "shoot-outs", and the like.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Some displays have rectangular rather than square pixels - thats the explanation. So aspect ratio can be independent of resolution. The panels that have square pixels with 16:9 AR have 852x480 or 1366x768 resolution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.