AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the best resolution to set my PC for for playing games is.

I have a custom Powerstrip resolution for 856x480 for my Panny 42" (model 4B) I use for desktop use. I assumed this to be the best choice. However if I choose a higher resolution and let the plasma scale it back down I get a much smoother image.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by martinpeter
I was wondering what the best resolution to set my PC for for playing games is.

I have a custom Powerstrip resolution for 856x480 for my Panny 42" (model 4B) I use for desktop use. I assumed this to be the best choice. However if I choose a higher resolution and let the plasma scale it back down I get a much smoother image.

Any ideas?
Most games will switch the desktop to what it wants. If the game has a 16x9 setting, like GTA, then use it. GTA is the only game I have played so far, and that didn't last long when the wife saw my 3 and 4 1/2 year old watching me play it!

All I was doing was driving around in the tank using cheat mode, and kind of blowing a couple of cars up. Maybe it was the "scream" going through my stereo receiver when I ran over someone that did it...

Now I do hear that the XBox going in at 720p on a 6UY, and with a 16x9 oriented game is breathtaking.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
jeepman, I'd guess Carmageddon's out of the question then, huh :D. I played that last week on my 4uy and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
856x480 for me too. And remember to have the same refresh rate as the desktop. Otherwise it won't fit properly on screen when you enter a game.

Antialiasing should also be enabled.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
However, if you can't do antialiasing in the hardware setting a higher resolution might give you some anti-aliasing based on the plasma scaling. Having said that, I always attempt to run at the plasma native resolution because of clarity issues. Of course with the clarity comes some amount of jaggies especially when you are 4 feet from a 50 inch screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.