Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Questions here:

1. Do standalone DVD players have a fixed resolution? in other words, if i get a HDTV with a 1600x1200 resolution, will the DVD player play the DVD at that resolution? or will it be forced to a lower res.

2. When I am playing a DVD on the computer with software, does it have the capability of running at the resolution of my screen?

4.also, what is what is the difference between interlaced and progressive resolutions?

4.Is it possible to get a dvd player and an lcd tv and get a better picture then on my computer....

Thanks a lot,

Eli

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
1. DVD's are encoded at 480i. 480i (interlaced) only draws every other line on the screen for each frame. Progressive scan players deinterlace this to 480p. Progressive means all lines are drawn on the screen at the same time. In other words, progressive scan players fill in the missing lines which creates smoother motion and less jaggies. Some players upconvert to 720p or 1080i. A few can do custom upconverting to about any resolution you like, but most upconverting players only do the aforementioned resolutions.

2. Yes. Certain software, such as FFDShow can do so.

3. Covered above

4. Sure, anythings possible, though current LCDs don't currently deliver better PQ than CRT's, so your CRT computer monitor, while small, actually will deliver the better picture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all very good to know. I checked in powerdvd, and it says the DVD was running at the same resolution as my screen was set too; 1024x768. So perhaps I don't need FFDshow to enable higher res?

the Information was much appreciated, I am trying to build my own little home theater, and I want the best picture, and personally i don't care how big it is (to an extent) because I am going to be the only one viewing it upclose.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so does the DVD player have FFdshow built in? because i am running higher the the DVD standard.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I misspoke - FFDShow is a software processor for doing enhancements such as sharpening. For running custom resolutions, you can use powerstrip. You'll find the output resolution is whatever your machine's resolution is currently set to. This is a better question for the HTPC forum to get more input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.