AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are CRT projectors limited to 1080i, 720p, and 480 i/p like HDTV sets or can they display other resolutions? Please explain or point me in the direction of a good guide. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
CRT's are not limited to specific resolutions like TV sets. They are however limited to how much resolution they can display accurately based on input frequency, and size of the CRT's. CRT's are for the most part multisync devices within their specified frequency range, unlike most RPTV's which are not.

Terry

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i definitely need to read more on this subject. I have no idea what you just said :D See, i want to hook an HTPC to my projector, meaning that i want to be able to play games using mostly 800x600, but sometimes 1024x768 and rarely even 1280x960.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think you really want to play games on your CRT projector when you get one. You'd have to be extremely careful to avoid phosphor burn-in. In fact, uneven wear or burn-in is probably unavoidable if you play games regularly on your CRT projector.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I aggree on the fact that playing games using a 3CRT pjs will lower the tube timelife.

Concerning the resolution, the 3CRT pjs are limited by the max horizontal frequency accepted.

It doesn't mean that the max acceptable resolution is the max resolution possible for the pj.

Normally, all the pjs are able to manage a resolution quite higher than what acceptable in terms of image quality (I mean without to obtain a "soft" image).

So, it is not so difficult to find 7 inches pjs able to work at some [email protected] hz or even higher resolutions, but I don't think that you will accept the image quality obtained.

Just to give an example, normally the best 7 inches pjs are able to give good results with 720p or 864p too, going behyond that, will decrease the image quality, notwithstanding they will be able to work at a much higher frequency.

Romano

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
D, to answer your question, CRT projectors are like the biggest multisyc monitor there is. They'll sync to anything that falls within spec. The common gaming resolutions that you mentioned (800x600, 1024x768) should be no problem for any projector. Even my lowly ECP3101 should do the 1280x960.

Cary

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Argh, burn-in, i hate that word. Thought only TV sets had it :( Crap, does it work pretty much the same way too? Also, what about the tube life? How long's that?

·
Registered
199 Posts
yep games are a big no no . tube life dipends on how you treat your pj . keep all settings at a resonable level and you may get 10,000 hours+ stick the contrast and brightness to full and leave it and you will kill the tubes in no time .

just use the pj for films that is what they are best at . you can use a crt for the net and games but after a time you will spoil your film enjoyment when nastys apear . do as i and a lot do . get your self a monitor or cheep lcd pj for the gaming and save your baby for those important film moments

as for resolution the best thing is to find the crts sweet spot and keep it at that resolution . that's the only real way to get the best from it. i have my ecp4500 at 1024x768 on a 4:3 screen .this is not quite at it's sweet spot but gives a sharper image inmyop

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i know that tons of people use RPTVs for gaming, because they manage to avoid burn-in by turning down brightness/contrast and by not leaving the game idle. So what about projectors, do they get burn-in quicker? I'm spending a ****load of money on my HT system and i don't want to end up using my 300-dollar monitor and 100-dollar speakers for gaming. Hell, i spend several times more time playing games than watching movies. I mean face it, an average game lasts anywhere from 10-50 hours, an average movie is 2 hours. You get the idea :D Dammit, i don't want to end up getting a WEGA just so i can play games on my HT system :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

I know it's not the neatest solution, but I would definitely look at getting a used LCD or DLP projector (like the NEC LT-150) for your gaming needs in your HT and preserve the CRT for movies. Even with contrast and brightness turned down you will get some burn in if you use games a lot. To put it another way, you can easily be looking at $1500 for a set of 3 CRT tubes for a projector to replace damaged ones, plus labour for fitting and re converging the projector. You can get a cheap LCD / DLP projector for less than that.

I've seen one install where a ceiling mounted CRT projector used for TV viewing and movies is supplemented by a small LCD projector installed in a coffee table which had a couple of games consoles built into it. Both projectors were set up to fire to the same screen and apparently it was a very easy system to use, whilst avoiding the risk of CRT damage.

It sounds like you've made a large investment in your HT, and it would be a pity to risk spoiling the picture of your pride and joy with burn in from games.

I hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait, so LCD/DLP projectors don't suffer from burn-in? Then, wouldn't getting a good LCD/DLP for both movies and games be a better idea? Because i'm sure that games wouldn't look that great on a cheap one. Besides, i don't think i can afford to spend another $1000USD on anything.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
d!abolic,

You are definately on the wrong forum if you want honest comparisons between CRT's and LDC/DLP projectors for the quality of video produced. We have all seen the light and perfer CRT's to digital projectors for reason that have been outlined many times before.

Burn in occurs when you have something stationary on the screen for long periods of time. Like yourng or the game Tetris, which has the same background, that could burn the CRT's aver a period of time.

But I am here to tell you that there is nothing like playing F1-2000 on a 110" screen sitting in Porsche seat with the steering wheel and foot pedals. You will break out in a sweat!

Terry

·
Registered
199 Posts
the main prob with games is things like power bars that are there all the time . if you are playing somthing with no stationary on screen graphics then that is fine and go for it .

the thing is though that most people when they think about ht are thinking films and that is basicaly what crt is best at . when blasting down a road at 150mph you are not going to notice the bad blacks pixilation ect that a lamp pj will throw up .so you will have no problems with one . till you come to watch your first film.

you could get an cheep lcd and a nice second hand crt and have the best of both worlds . or you chould spend the same money on a top end lcd, dlp . you will get just the same thrill as with the low end lamp on your games but will never get the pure film like quality for your movie watching that you would with a good old crt

·
Registered
181 Posts
Correct, LCD/DLP don't suffer from burn-in. They use the exact same technology that's in a laptop computer. Here's a VERY basic explanation.

LCD projectors have a very bright bulb that shines through panels that have tiny 'holes' that open and close. The rate at which these 'holes' open and close determines brightness, color, etc.

CRT projectors use cathode ray tubes just like a TV. These tubes have a phosphor coating on the inside of the tube. When struck with an electron beam, the phosphor glows. If you shine that beam on the same place for too long, you 'burn' the phosphor.

If you plan on doing a lot of gaming and aren't too concerned about having a perfect film-like image when watching movies, go with the LCD. It will be brighter and is better suited for computer displays.

- Brian

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i want the best of both words, i'm just not sure if i can afford it :)

Could someone explain to me then, why so many RPTV owners use their sets for games? They all tell me that they're doing fine as long as brightness/contrast is down. So do CRT projectors suffer from burn-in more than RPTV's?

Also, how much would this "cheap" LCD cost? I could get a CRT at first and then a few months down the road, grab an LCD too. Also, wouldn't the picture quality really suck on a cheap LCD?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think FPJ's suffer from burn-in more because they produce a brighter image on the CRT surface. The more intense the electron beam is hitting the phosphor, the easier it is to burn an image into it.

The picture quality of a cheap LCD would probably be fine for games, but yes, it would probably suck for movies. At least the ones I've seen do.

- Brian

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So once again, how much do those "cheap" LCD's go for?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not too familiar with LCD pricing. After seeing a few that friends have I didn't even consider one :D I think I've seen some ads for new low end ones at around $3K. Start looking on eBay for used prices. If you're budget is over $3K, you can get a nice CRT projector, probably even an 8" model. My budget was under 2K and I found a Sony 1271 with brand new tubes for $1700 that I'm pretty happy with. Of course, I don't plan on gaming...

- Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.