AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get a new HDTV next year and I'm leaning toward DLP. I can't seem to find a website that gives detailed comparisons on the different brands.

Does anyone know of a good site to help me out? Also, why does it seem that some big players in HDTV aren't making DLP sets?

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
The best comparisons are your own eyes! Just go to several stores and compare them for yourself. Samsung is the current leader with the most experience. Also, look out for # of digital inputs (DVI and/or HDMI) - you should get a set with at least 2 of them to make you a little more future proof.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's against the law for any Video Magazine to compare DLP models. As for inputs, Firewire does exist, no matter how much the MPAA wishes it didn't. The reason Sony doesn't make DLP is because they're greedy and want to make all the money so they won't pay Texas Instruments and push RP LCD which is inferior. There are a very small number of posters here that will compare DLPs and tell you who they think is the best one. Most just say whatever they purchased. The most important thing in terms of Picture Quality is the HD2+ chip. For the best black level wait for the Samsung 1080p set. For the best value for the money buy the Toshiba 46HM94. For the largest DLP set buy an Optoma 65 inch. For the most versatility buy a Mitsubishi 825 series set with an integrated PVR, CableCard, and Firewire output. For the Cheapest buy an LG or a Gateway. For a stylistic statement buy a Siim2 or a Loewe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your time-frame is right, as there are lots of new models hitting the streets and you (IMO) don't want to buy anything that doesn't have a good 3-6 month track record to work all the bugs out. I've got a Mits and my dad has a Sammy - nothing wrong with either of those. Some of the other models I would have considered (RCA/InFocus mostly, as I didn't want anything with side-speakers), were not available when we purchased ours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.