Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my letter:

Hello,

I'm a recent new customer with the HD package including HBO and Showtime HD. I'm dissatisfied with the picture quality and see terrible digital artifacting on most if not all HD programs. ESPN-HD seems the least affected but is still sub-par for what HDTV should look like. I'm able to compare your signal to off-the-air digital signals which are much better in quality.

The bitrates you are allowing for many of the HD channels are simply not adequate. This is fairly simple to calculate based on recording from an HD-Tivo. See http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

This situation is well know on www.avsforum.com (the largest and most well known internet site for HDTV). I'm hoping you will correct this soon as I (and many others I'm sure) will have to discontinue your service and switch to Cable or DishNetwork if it does not improve.

Your presently unsatisfied customer,

Charles Catron

D*'s response:

Dear Mr. Catron,

Thank you for asking us about the picture quality on your DIRECTV System. In accordance with our company policy, we cannot give out the specifics of the resolution of our broadcast signal. This is partly because we are always fine-tuning our quality. The goal of our engineers is to design the very best transmission operation that will bring you extraordinary video, audio, and data along with the programming.

Though our engineers have very high standards, I'm sure you understand that our success as a business depends in part on carrying a wide selection of programming. Therefore, due to limitations in satellite space capacity we must balance our desire to provide outstanding signal quality with the demand for a wide selection of channels. We are proud of the job we do at delivering both.

To be able to keep enhancing our signal quality AND to bring our customers lots of choices, we are always working on upgrades to our broadcast infrastructure that let us transmit our programming more efficiently. In other words, we can add more channels without sacrificing picture quality, and we can improve picture quality without having to drop any channels.

We appreciate your patience as we adjust and fine tune our systems. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I have also forwarded your concern to DIRECTV management.

Sincerely,

Bonamei

DIRECTV Customer Service

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
That is hardly a response. I have seen that reply several times on the board. It is clear that complaints never make it to the higher ups. Their online support uses content filtering that triggers responses. It may be time for you to act on your threat.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree on your complaint of the D* HD quality. Unfortunately I have no other HD option besides D*. Yes, I could go E*, but prefer network HD than standard HD and E* only offers CBS. Also I must say D* has some set of balls to say ESPNHD is a HD channel and charge for it. Because every time I tune in, they are showing something in SD.

So their "default" reply on their will probably go on until the end of time or until a competitor offers as much HD and in greater quality to which we can leave D* for. Hurry up E*

I wonder if they hired writers for that write-up. :))

"we are always fine-tuning our quality" "The goal of our engineers is to design the very best transmission operation that will bring you extraordinary video"

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145
That is hardly a response. I have seen that reply several times on the board. It is clear that complaints never make it to the higher ups. Their online support uses content filtering that triggers responses. It may be time for you to act on your threat.
I'll have to deal with it for another 11 mos or so. If I have a better alternative at that point, I certainly will. I guess my hope is they'll actually do something to improve it by then so I won't have to. The reality is that D* will probably have MPEG4 and HD locals in my area before my local cable offers HD so my only real alternative will be E*.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobwco
Also I must say D* has some set of balls to say ESPNHD is a HD channel and charge for it. Because every time I tune in, they are showing something in SD.

"
Yeah, makes you wonder why they are adding espn2hd in Sept. Do these guys have any brains?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Everyone already knows the answer to the HDLite question. At least they didn't lie to you.

There's a lot of people in this forum that thinks that even if D* had unlimited bandwidth, they'd still give us HDLite, just to f with us.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
. Also I must say D* has some set of balls to say ESPNHD is a HD channel and charge for it. "
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. You are blaming D* for saying ESPN-HD is and HD channel? I think every provider in the country calls ESPN-HD an HD channel and everyone I've seen includes it in a seperate tier. Seriously man....you got shut down in the other thread so you come over here with your bullsh**. Your opinions are worthless and your posts are stupid...go find another hobby.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
So their "default" reply on their will probably go on until the end of time or until a competitor offers as much HD and in greater quality to which we can leave D* for. Hurry up E*
Another great arguement. D* sucks...I sure hope something better comes along so I can switch. Oh and by the way E* already offers more HD....so please drop D* now and stop your idiotic posts. Then you can start posting how E* fooled into thinking their EPSN-HD was 24 hours a day. Maybe you're just a fool.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty-McPost
Another great arguement. D* sucks...I sure hope something better comes along so I can switch. Oh and by the way E* already offers more HD....so please drop D* now and stop your idiotic posts. Then you can start posting how E* fooled into thinking their EPSN-HD was 24 hours a day. Maybe you're just a fool.
This gentleman(woman) is entitled to his/her opinion without having to endure a personal attack. There are many who want to keep D* (or E*) but want better PQ with HD programming (myself being one). I'm stuck with D* for the next year and my cable co. doesn't offer HD so my choices are limited.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat
This gentleman(woman) is entitled to his/her opinion without having to endure a personal attack. There are many who want to keep D* (or E*) but want better PQ with HD programming (myself being one). I'm stuck with D* for the next year and my cable co. doesn't offer HD so my choices are limited.
Opinions are based on facts. No facts=no opinion. You are entitled to think D* PQ sucks and should be fixed. You are not entitled to think D* is cheating you because ESPN doesn't broadcast in HD 24 hours a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.