AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a widescreen LCD for gaming on my computer. Wondering if I'll notice a difference between 8ms, 5ms and 2ms.

Any comments?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 8ms on my 47" set and do not notice any flickering or problems with Gears of War on the XBOX 360 which is very graphic intensive.

Charles

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
the lower the better!

·
Registered
720 Posts
if i were you id go as low as possible because i have an 8ms lcd and i can easily notice motion blur when playing the halo 3 beta.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL /forum/post/0

if i were you id go as low as possible because i have an 8ms lcd and i can easily notice motion blur when playing the halo 3 beta.

What type of LCD do you have? I can't see any motion blur on mine and I've thrown about a dozen games at it.

Charles

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
well here's a story for you. i bought guitar hero 2. the game needs to be calibrated via it's in game response time config utility. you have to hit the button as the icon passes through a circle and based on the average of about 20 tries it determines how much lag you have on your set.

my sony 46 1080p lcd had about a 12ms offset but

when i went to my sisters place and did the same calibration her 50" panny plasma 720p had about 50ms offset.

no blurring whatsoever on the sony with any of the games i've played.

not a very scientific way to look at response time but it is interesting isn't it?

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbell74 /forum/post/0

What type of LCD do you have? I can't see any motion blur on mine and I've thrown about a dozen games at it.

Charles

LNS3251D Samsung.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng /forum/post/0

well here's a story for you. i bought guitar hero 2. the game needs to be calibrated via it's in game response time config utility. you have to hit the button as the icon passes through a circle and based on the average of about 20 tries it determines how much lag you have on your set.

my sony 46 1080p lcd had about a 12ms offset but

when i went to my sisters place and did the same calibration her 50" panny plasma 720p had about 50ms offset.

no blurring whatsoever on the sony with any of the games i've played.

not a very scientific way to look at response time but it is interesting isn't it?

Somethings wrong then. Maybe with the setup. What console are you using and what do you have it set to output? Because it's response time should be better than any LCD. Even a very good one like your Sony.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggame7495 /forum/post/0

Somethings wrong then. Maybe with the setup. What console are you using and what do you have it set to output? Because it's response time should be better than any LCD. Even a very good one like your Sony.

Be careful not to conflate two totally different video effects: Response lag is different than image blurring, and it's quite possible that an LCD will have way less response lag than a DLP, SXRD, PDP, etc.

Response lag, which is what his Guitar Hero numbers measured, is the delay you get between a video game button press and the on-screen visual response. E.g., I press up and, sometime later, my television shows my character look up. It's a product of the t.v. set's upscaling hardware--some add quite a bit of delay. Samsung's old HLR (DLP rear projection) series was notorious for this kind of lag, but they've apparently made great strides to remedy it on their newer model DLPs and PDPs (with "Game Modes" that actually work).

Response lag has nothing to do with the 8ms or 120HZ numbers you're seeing (at least not in a direct way). Those numbers are relevant to blurring on LCDs, though, which is the unwanted smearing or trailing of a moving image.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggame7495 /forum/post/0

That's also why I asked what console he was using and what it was set to output. It could matter a great deal.

It seemed to me that he was talking about response lag, while you were talking about blurring. They're often confused (even by the in-store 'help' at places like BB, Tweeter, CC, etc.), but they're two different things.

So there's nothing to suggest there's anything 'wrong' from his setup if he's getting less lag on the LCD than the PDP.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Have you run the game on a LCD desktop monitor of any type yet? If so, do you like it. If so, any LCD is running fast enough and/or your eyes can't see it. An 8ms (or better) LCD will be better but try it on a "vanilla" monitor to see if you are sensitive to all this. Often time, response speed fears are unfounded because of standard human visual acuity

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any one here have lag issues with the Sony xbr bravia 40 lcd & the 360?

I've been playing FEAR death match & i'm not sure if i am lagging via cabel modem or tv. That or I just plain suck at FEAR.

I never have latency on my pc when playing HL2 deathmatch & usually place in the top 3. IN FEAR i'm lucky to get out of last place.

Curious is its just me or something else.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My set's rated at 8 ms but I've never once had an issue with ghosting or blurring on any game, and I play everything from fast action games like God of War to RPGs like FFXII. Eight ms should be just fine as long as the quality of craftsmanship on the TV is otherwise good.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl /forum/post/0

My set's rated at 8 ms but I've never once had an issue with ghosting or blurring on any game, and I play everything from fast action games like God of War to RPGs like FFXII. Eight ms should be just fine as long as the quality of craftsmanship on the TV is otherwise good.

The problem is that 8ms for one TV/monitor can mean something completely different for another. There's not one standard way of measuring response time, so the advertised specs are pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/0

The problem is that 8ms for one TV/monitor can mean something completely different for another. There's not one standard way of measuring response time, so the advertised specs are pretty meaningless.

I'm not debating that. The guy asked a question so I'm responding to it. And if you read my post properly you'd see I said that 8 ms is usually fine *as long as the quality of the set's otherwise good.* I wouldn't trust an Insignia rated at 8 ms, but LG, Sharp, etc? Yeah, they should be ok.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl /forum/post/0

I'm not debating that. The guy asked a question so I'm responding to it. And if you read my post properly you'd see I said that 8 ms is usually fine *as long as the quality of the set's otherwise good.* I wouldn't trust an Insignia rated at 8 ms, but LG, Sharp, etc? Yeah, they should be ok.

The issue is not the craftsmanship, it's the manufacturer's method of measuring response time. Since it varies from company to company, listed response times are of very limited usefulness.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts