AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

Restaurant Audio Setup/Design Help

3537 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Will2007
Hello, this is my first post here, I have found some very helpful info here in past and want to thank all the contributors. This time I could not find the answer Im looking for by searching forums, so this is what Im trying to do:

Sound system for my restaurant that needs to be distributed in two different rooms and small open patio (different ceiling heights and noise levels in each space).

Inputs: iPod, Grace internet radio (has RCA outs L and R), JVC 5020VBK receiver

Output: need 3 speakers in room1, 2 speakers in room2 and 1 in patio.

I would like to be able to control volume on each speaker or at least in each room separately. I have 4 Insignia NS-E2111 speakers that I would like to use if possible. Link to manufacturer/speakers: won't let me post link, sorry.

I would appreciate help with designing, choosing right components.

P.S. I'm on tight budget, hence the DIY project. Sound quality is not my top concerns.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
First off, you must accept that all the sources must be configured for momo reproduction.

For a commercial multi-zone system with zoned volume controls, the easiest and most reliable system would be to use a commercial mixer amp with several inputs and a 70 volt speaker output and wall mounted attenuators for each zone.

These are the traditional systems used commercially everywhere. There are ceiling mounted and wall mount speakers with integral 70 volt matching transformers. These allow you to run any number of speakers and remote zone volume controls as long as you do not exceed the total wattage of the amp. Speaker impedance is unimportant.

The mixer portion of the amp allows you to have each source on a separate input so you can easily select the source and the volume. You can even dedicate one or more inputs for a paging microphone.
Thanks Gizmologist, I think I'm on right track now. I am looking at Crown's Commercial Audio Series equipment Mixer-Amplifiers 135MA or 160MA to use with 5 70 volt speakers (in 2 rooms) and 1 8ohm speaker (outdoors). I have two new questions though:

- 3 inputs are plenty for me on 135MA but is 35W output enough for my setup or do I need 160MA with 60W?

- I will need to control volume on individual speakers or on groups in each rooms. Will something like this work on both type of speakers (8omhs and 70v)?

Crown 4-VCAP Wall VCA Controls (are attenuators same as volume controls like these)

"The 4-VCAP wall-mounted panels provide remote volume control for one or more VCA-controlled channels. The 4-VCAP is a 2-gang panel with four potentiometers.

The potentiometers on the panel are wired directly to the VCA connectors on the VCA-MC module accessories for CTs 4- and 8-channel amplifiers, or to the VCA connections on Commercial Audio Series products."

I wont't even get into wiring these things, as at this point Im still clueless, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the info
See less See more
This is equipment I will be using in 2 rooms, small hallway and outdoor patio:

Very helpful site (check out/click on diagram, explains connections): alectrosystems. com/audio/Distribution/70volt.htm takeout space before com for link to work

-Crown 160MA Mixer/Amplifier, Mono, 4 Inputs, 60W

-5 Atlas Sound SD72W LOUDSPEAKER 25/70.7v 4w T62-8 WHT GRIL with Atlas Sound CS95-8 ENCLOSURE f/SD72 CEILING SPEAKER and Atlas Sound EZ95-8 Recessed Round Enclosure for 8" Loudspeakers (for suspended/drop ceiling)

-2 Insignia 120W 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers used with OWI Inc. TRANSFORMER 70v f/4-8 ohms 5-25w

-5 Atlas Sound AT-100D 70V/100W ATTENUATORS (I know 10w is to much but got good deal on them)

-Pyle Pro SPEAKER WIRE / 16Gauge

I will keep you posted on this DIY, hope its gonna be helpful
See less See more
I don't wish to insult your intelligence, but apart from the equipment acquisition and set up, if you are running a restaurant or any other place in which people gather (even a nursing home day room, for instance), you have to consider the legal ramifications. Any business (and government, too) that plays music is rendering a "public performance" of the music, assuming it is copyrighted (virtually anything recorded is), as that phrase is used and understood in US copyright law. This is a legal trap for the unwary.

Here's how to remedy the problem preemptively, in case you haven't already done so. There are three clearinghouses which serve as the license holders of copyright to recorded music in the US (and they pay royalties to the artists or other copyright owners, and collect fees from licensees, and enforce fines otherwise).

1) ASCAP http://www.ascap.com/licensing/gener...licensing.aspx

2) BMI http://www.bmi.com/licensing/

3) SESAC http://www.sesac.com/Licensing/obtainlicense.aspx

Contact each of them before your first playing of music, regardless of source (an iPod counts too) in your restaurant. They will allow you to purchase a license and pay annual fees allowing you to play music whose copyright they represent.

Why? Well, if you don't, in very short order you will be cited by them and hit up for huge fees and essentially fines. They have an army of ordinary people they employ to hit up unsuspecting businesses all over the country with a list of all the copyrighted music you have played recently and a total of all the fees you owe them for each public performance of each song. No place is too obscure or too small to evade them. You do not want to fight them in court; you will lose and you will pay one way or the other.

The easy way is to obtain the licenses and maintain their currency. If you do not, you will hear from them and their copyright enforcement people.

Good luck.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.