AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody please help. I'm about to return my display if I can't figure out what is going on. I plan on calling Panasonic directly but am hoping some people on here have some insight. I have the TH-50PX50U. Its barely two weeks old and I have a few concerns/issues with it and want to make sure its not just me or that I didn't get a faulty display.

First issue: Low def signals (analog stations) might have what appear to be dithering problems. I was watching NBC (which isn't the clearest channel) and started noticing something funny with people's faces. The color shading of a person's face would move at about a half second slower than the person's actual movements. In other words, if their head was turned to the right and then they turn to the left, their cheeks/facial features would be delayed by almost a full second! HD programming looks great and the issue kind of went away on the digital signals provided by my CableCo.

Since this issue, I have changed the settings on my cable box to upscale 480i signals to any setting and it seems to help clean up the problem.

Second issue: ...and this is a big one for me. Certain colors/brightnesses make the display appear as an old, worn-out 14" computer screen. If there is a commercial that displays an all white background with black text, the horizontal lines where the text is displayed appear dimmer than the rest of the screen. I haven't been able to correct this issue in any mode and the brightnes settings don't really seem to matter.

I'm really stumped on these two and don't know if these are inherint to plasma, having a low contrast ratio (3000:1), or if I have a faulty display.

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping someone here has some input on this matter. I called Panasonic and they recommended that I make an appt with one of their service centers. A technician will be out next week to take a look. I'm hoping there IS something wrong and that its just not me, so that the problem is resolved and I stop worrying about it. Otherwise I've been contemplating returning this one for the Toshiba.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wz
Regarding the banding you are seeing

See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=624683
Good information there. At least I'm not the only one. I too will wait for the tech to come out and see what his results are. The problem is too extreme for me to handle paying such a large amount for this TV. If it can't be resolved, I fear it will be going back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k
First issue: Low def signals (analog stations) might have what appear to be dithering problems. I was watching NBC (which isn't the clearest channel) and started noticing something funny with people's faces. The color shading of a person's face would move at about a half second slower than the person's actual movements. In other words, if their head was turned to the right and then they turn to the left, their cheeks/facial features would be delayed by almost a full second! HD programming looks great and the issue kind of went away on the digital signals provided by my CableCo.

You wouldn't happen to be using a DVR, would you?

I noticed the same exact thing with my Maxent MX-50X3 (which supposedly uses Panasonic glass) when watching SD through my Comcast HD DVR.

Highlights or color detail on a person's face seem to move a second or so behind the rest of the face-- almost the same effect you get when you wave a bright torch and the flame lags behind the movement of the torch... it is quite annoying.

However, having playing with my DVR a bit more I think it is from MPEG compression, as I can pause the screen and go frame-by-frame and see that the color detail has a tendency to want to stay in the same exact location on the screen....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohr
You wouldn't happen to be using a DVR, would you?

I noticed the same exact thing with my Maxent MX-50X3 (which supposedly uses Panasonic glass) when watching SD through my Comcast HD DVR.

Highlights or color detail on a person's face seem to move a second or so behind the rest of the face-- almost the same effect you get when you wave a bright torch and the flame lags behind the movement of the torch... it is quite annoying.

However, having playing with my DVR a bit more I think it is from MPEG compression, as I can pause the screen and go frame-by-frame and see that the color detail has a tendency to want to stay in the same exact location on the screen....
Yes. Compression makes the most amount of sense. Since I noticed the issue, I've upconverted all of my signals to 1080i. The pictures is much more crisp, but I lose the ability to mess with the aspect ratios. Hopefully it won't turn into a problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:
Yes. Compression makes the most amount of sense. Since I noticed the issue, I've upconverted all of my signals to 1080i. The pictures is much more crisp, but I lose the ability to mess with the aspect ratios. Hopefully it won't turn into a problem.
Yea Ive heard a number of people set their STBs to only output 480i and 1080i for their pannys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

So you were using a DVR?

And having the STB output 1080i instead of 480i seems to help the problem?

I'm kind of suprised I haven't seen more comments about this issue on the forums here as I would think a Panny plasma and a DVR would be a popular combination around here....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - so the tech has been out and was dumbfounded by the amount of banding I am seeing. I emailed him photos along with the screen test and Panny authorized the service center to order the "d board" and "s board". Does anyone know what these are?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Can you email me the picture you sent to the tech regarding the banding?

You can send it to [email protected]

I am most interested in hearing how the banding turns out for you.

Whats interesting is I see it on some material... but not all and not to any high degree.

I dont recall ever seeing any banding on HD material.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wz
The Banding Ive witnessed on SD material is not that bad... it is like the bottom line... very subtle.
thats in true 1080i, outputted by my xbox. I'm anxious to see what these replacement components will do when the service guy comes out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, 640k, and update on how things are after the service guy came and took a look?

My Maxent has similiar banding (doesn't appear to be quite as bad as yours), so I was wondering if there really was something wrong with one of your components or if this is just par for the course...

·
Registered
455 Posts
sohr Im pretty sure now this is just par for the course with plasma's... I would love to get some sort of explaination as to the cause.... is this a deal breaker for plasma for me??? HELL NO!!! :) I love my 50px50u :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Another way to check if a plasma is prone to banding is to put on a horizontal grey ramp test pattern from DVE or AVIA (title 18, chapter 6 on DVE or title 1, chapter 103 on AVIA). It should be smooth, neutral and have no color variation. If the grey ramp has banding, video will have banding. Here is a excerpt from the Home Theater review on the Panasonic 42PX500,

"Using the gray ramp on Video Essentials (title 18, chapter 6), there are a few subtle steps instead of a smooth light-to-dark ramp. It is slightly noisy at these steps, as well. With actual video material, like the fifth chapter in the beloved (or despised) Fifth Element, the background of the room has subtle stepping from light to dark and is a little noisy. This is not as good as some displays, but it's better than most."

http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisp...ic/index2.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.