AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed at the local Circuit City, Best Buy and Ultimate that the retail pricing of the HD Tivo unit is dropping like a rock (advertised at $499 now).

I also remember reading somewhere that unit is already obsolete. Is this HDMI related? I guess there is a pretty obvious reason they trying to get them off the shelves. Any thoughts.

Sorry if I am repeating things here. Haven't been back for awhile.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
It's not obsolete, it's not HDMI related, the big issue is what's going to happen when the MPEG 4 conversion comes along, Directv has yet to formally annouce how they plan to upgrade exisiting HR10-250 owners with a comparable MPEG 4 capable device.

They are $599 with a $100 mail in rebate that requires activation between now and 11/05/05 and a 2 year commitment to receive. You can find them for less then $599 online and still get the rebate also.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Matt. I found another thread talking about the same issues.

Of course the first thought would be if the retail has gone from $1000 to ~1/2 w/rebate DirecTV probably won't be supporting mpeg 4 conversion with this unit.

The only question I guess that really brings up in a BIG way is how can they possibly ask a customer to commit to 2 years with that unit??!

I guess it's kind of a shot in the dark until they speak up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
You can find them for less then $599 online and still get the rebate also.
Don't forget to also get a credit from DirecTV Retention if you buy from outside retailer, can get between $150 and $250.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.