AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I can save you some time with this report...

I recently decided to be realistic and replace my three non-matching component cables (I had linked two Monster Cable and one Acoustic Research cables together) with something respectable and of higher quality. I am a fairly cash-savvy person, so I shopped around the web and the local area (Dallas, TX). My results were as follows:

Least Expensive to Most Expensive

$136: avcable.com

They were very friendly and offered a 30-day satisfaction policy and a 3-year warranty.

$137: Some EBay user named Mark

He was polite as well, though I didn't feel comfortable ordering from EBay.

$150: rhinocables.com

Very informative and great at selling the product. The name dropping technique had me putting them in the front at the end. They referred to THX and George Lucas numerous times. Hey, if it's good enough for the man who created Star Wars...

$185: Monster Cable

Website was incredibly weak. I actually considered going with Monster Cable so I could buy the gear locally, but no retailers were found in Dallas. Go figure!

$195: catcables.com

Very understanding and polite staff. They were nice enough to explain to me why their cables cost what they did.

$240: AudioQuest via Hillcrest HiFidelity

They were also polite, but I have shopped there before (local Dallas shop) and I know when I am paying full retail. I'm out there.

$275: bettercables.com

The most business-like of all, they had exactly what I needed ready to ship instantly. That being said, they were also quite pricey.

$7,830.75: Kimber Kables

Not available anywhere that I could find, that price is not a typo. They offered other cables as well, but the fact that they offer cables at that rate and included those prices in their e-mail to me is amazing. I guess if you spend $150,000+ on a system, you can justify the cost.

UNAVAILABLE: The Home Theater Store

I bought my Def. Tech speakers from this chain in Houston, and I have regretted shopping with them ever since. They offered nothing in this length, despite being a "serious" store.

UNAVAILABLE: haveinc.com

They hit me with about a thousand specifics and were more trouble than it was worth. I want to be accurately served, but I don't want this to be a painful process.

UNAVAILABLE: Kellum & Sons

This is a friendly local joint that just couldn't get the cables fast enough to capture my business.

THE OUTCOME

I went with AV Cable. Jim Woodier was very professional and polite. He even quoted me a very reasonable UPS cost to get the cables to me in less than three days. He listened to my questions and answered them well, even though I knew he was very busy. I'm sure they handle more than just my small order each day, but I felt very good about my purchase.

The cables have not arrived yet, but I am confident based upon the suggestions of other AVS Forum members that I will be more than satisfied with my purchase. The great news is that even if I am disappointed with the cables, I can send them back for a full refund.

I will post more later as to the picture quality using the new cables.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by McPatrickClan
Maybe I can save you some time with this report...

I recently decided to be realistic and replace my three non-matching component cables (I had linked two Monster Cable and one Acoustic Research cables together) with something respectable and of higher quality. I am a fairly cash-savvy person, so I shopped around the web and the local area (Dallas, TX). My results were as follows:

I will post more later as to the picture quality using the new cables.
Well, I would be interested in your "objective" results. I currently have 3 different brands, one 12ft run of AR, one 12ft run of Radio Shack, and one 6 ft run of Toshiba OEM (came with dst-3000). I've recently added component switching through my receiver to the mix and if there is any denegration of the signal or picture, I can't see it.

I can't imagine a matched set of component cable making a difference like speaker wire. If the cable is well insulated 75 ohm, they pretty much match regardless of brand.

I do run matched Canare Quad Star bi-wires on my speakers. ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the " on objective?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sorry for the emphasis. I believe there's a placebo effect whenever something new is added to a system. We want to see or hear improvement, therefore more often than not, we will see or hear improvement. Subconsciously, it's a means to justify our added expense. I'm as guilty as anyone in this respect. It's difficult for me to always be objective, especially when it's my own system.

Nothing personal...

edit: PS.. I bought my speaker cables from a guy named Mark on ebay. Nice guy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbo, as a Psychology student in college, I can vouch for your point of view. I do believe this is a serious issue. I will do my best to make sure that I do not embrace these new cables too quickly!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have purchased cables from Mark on E-bay and had absolutly no problems. I am very happy with the quality of the cables and the connectors that he uses. I decided to go with the higher quality cables for my long run of 11 meters(36 feet) but the cheaper cables for my 1 meter and 4 meter cables. Total was $233 for everything plus shipping for all three sets.

I have pictures of the cables on my web site under the equipment link.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moon, thanks for the tip. I stayed away from DIY cables because I was concerned I couldn't do it very well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I have also used avcable.com and dealt with Jim Woodier and he is very nice to deal with. I like their cables as they appear to be very-well constructed and relatively inexpensive. This can be very important when you have a longer run like 50 feet or more. I can see paying a little extra for a nicer cable for a 6 foot run if that's what floats your boat, but I could not see paying $300 to $500 for a 50 foot cable. Due a variety of circumstances, I had a chance to see if there was any noticeable signal degradation in thier 50 foot RGB cable vs. a three foot cable (I was switching cables for another reason), and I coudn't find any difference.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cables arrived yesterday, just as promised. Man, they exceeded expectations! They look terrific! Great job, AVCable!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
I have purchased cables from Mark on E-bay and had absolutly no problems. I am very happy with the quality of the cables and the connectors that he uses. I decided to go with the higher quality cables for my long run of 11 meters(36 feet) but the cheaper cables for my 1 meter and 4 meter cables. Total was $233 for everything plus shipping for all three sets.

I have pictures of the cables on my web site under the equipment link.
I am in the process of talking to Mark and he seems to be easy to deal with... I'll probably place a large order this week and I will write about my outcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FWIW Rhinocables.com has their Component/composite video cables on sale. Top rated Belden 1694a with Canare. It's what I'm currently using (replace Canare) while I save for the premium cables.

Question for those of you who went with cables from Mark on e-bay.

Is he CScables? What kind ( brand and size rg59/RG6) cables did you buy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.