AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I watch a movie that still has the black bars on the top and bottom I usually end up being able to see them for a couple of minutes afterwards. So I was wondering what the best thing to do for this is. I assume it's more or less harmless here and there, but I might as well do what I can to avoid any future problems. The way I see it, I have three options (this is for both after the movie, and during any breaks of more then a minute or two). I can A)Turn off the TV B) Turn on normal TV to get a moving image on the screen or C) Change the input to something with no input so I just get a blue screen. I'm kinda curious if I should be doing one or the other, or if were just talking about the temp image retention it really doesn't matter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
You need to tone down your contrast and brightness settings. After watching a DVD or two I can not see the black bars lingering.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joey P
So when I watch a movie that still has the black bars on the top and bottom I usually end up being able to see them for a couple of minutes afterwards. So I was wondering what the best thing to do for this is. I assume it's more or less harmless here and there, but I might as well do what I can to avoid any future problems. The way I see it, I have three options (this is for both after the movie, and during any breaks of more then a minute or two). I can A)Turn off the TV B) Turn on normal TV to get a moving image on the screen or C) Change the input to something with no input so I just get a blue screen. I'm kinda curious if I should be doing one or the other, or if were just talking about the temp image retention it really doesn't matter. Any ideas?
Persistence for a few minutes is relatively normal and harmless and seems to be less of a problem as the set "breaks in". That being said, I only noticed persistence on my previous Pio with the ridiculously bright high contrast service menu bar. The fixed bar at the bottom would glow for a while after exiting the menu. My new Panny has no such menu bars.

I've not seen persistence of the aspect black bars you are seeing. Somebody correct me if this is wrong, but my simple mind tells me you are not seeing persistence in the black bars, you are seeing persistence in the image area. The black bars are no color signal. Therefore I would look at your contrast settings and try to find one that is less amped up that still looks good.

Plasma have various anti-burnin features. I turn them on (some are hidden in service menus). For instance the wobbler or orbiter moves the image a few pixels every few minutes. To tell the truth, I'm not sure if this moves the black bars or just the image within the image field. Regardless it won't move enough to affect the entire bar. Still, a good idea.

Bill

·
Registered
502 Posts
Many plasmas and DVD players have the capability to stretch the source to fit the entire screen. That is specifically for the purpose of preventing edge burn in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.