AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time using threads. what is the real differance between these two models except $1,000. This will be my first and only flat screen I will use. I am setting this up in our walkout basement for my wife and I to watch TV. We also have 12 grandchildren that like to play games on the TV but we only have a 32 inch.

I am trying to set up a decent sound system with it as well and I have a HK AVR80 with THX. (excellent shape but old I guess)I know the S1 doesn't have THX but is that important? I want good sound but not critical on the issues.

My wife wants to access the internet with the TV so she can see it better. Is that possible or a good Idea. The internet comes in with our phone. (DSL)

If there is another Plasma in the 63 inch plus that would be better, would like to know that also.

Have watched your "threads" for some time but dont understand sometimes. what is 24p and is it something we need? This will be hooked up to DirectTV and we are in the country.

I will wall mount this above a table. Is there a minimum height to mount. My wife and I have a reclining love set that will set about 10 to 12 feet away.

you fellows are the experts and also do I need to calibrate this tv? Also where is the best place to buy it and how much warranty should I get? This will be the last one because I can't keep up with all this changing techonoligy.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated The pondman

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
bump

·
Registered
272 Posts
What's your budget?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
no question save the $1000 and get the 65S10.

check with one of the avs forum sponsors Chris at Cleveland plasma. he has them in stock for shipping now. great guy to deal with on service and pricing. he can hook you up with a decent priced ext warranty if you need one. beware if you get one from a best buy as they are usually way overpriced.

no you don't have to get it calibrated. you can always get it calibrated later after you get it and see how you like it.

use a cardboard cutout and determine where you want it mounted on the wall that is good for you and the wife.

24P is the frame rate that some films are shot at. most displays will show it at a faster 2x/3x/4x etc multiple rate like 48Hz, 72Hz 96Hz etc... it can matter if you watch movies and how well your tv will actually do the processing and displaying at the higher rates. no big deal if your main source is directv service.

·
Registered
463 Posts
get the sammy, save more money and get better picture quality

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsfeedr /forum/post/17024698

No question get the 65v10 it smokes the s1

How do you know this,, these sets are just getting released and as far as I can gather no one has ever seen them side by side yet, or at least no one has done a S1 vs V10 review yet.

Question,, were did you get to see both these sets together at the same time to know the V10 "smokes" the S1 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/17024821

check with one of the avs forum sponsors Chris at Cleveland plasma. he has them in stock for shipping now. great guy to deal with on service and pricing. he can hook you up with a decent priced ext warranty if you need one. beware if you get one from a best buy as they are usually way overpriced.

no you don't have to get it calibrated. you can always get it calibrated later after you get it and see how you like it.

use a cardboard cutout and determine where you want it mounted on the wall that is good for you and the wife.

24P is the frame rate that some films are shot at. most displays will show it at a faster 2x/3x/4x etc multiple rate like 48Hz, 72Hz 96Hz etc... it can matter if you watch movies and how well your tv will actually do the processing and displaying at the higher rates. no big deal if your main source is directv service.

Yes, I agree, I dont think the V10 is going to be $1,000.00 better than the V10.

From the limited knowlege I have of both these sets, the "main" difference's are the V10 has the THX display setting and the up-graded surround sound.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I agree that you should save the $1,000 and get the S1. The V10 is better, but not $1,000 better. In theory, a S1 can look as good as a V10 when watching DirecTV since it uses the same panel.

If you plan on using the TV for the internet, make sure your computer can output DVI. I don't think the S1 (Or V10) can take a VGA input. You can use DVI and buy a cheap DVI to hdmi cable from monoprice.com ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10231 ).

Use the $1,000 for a PS3 for the grandkids. It will play Blu-Ray movies and is a great gaming platform. They have a new sleek model that costs $299. I'm pretty sure you can get one from Amazon. It has a built in web browser and wireless internet. The web browser stinks, but you can do basic stuff with it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by panabolic /forum/post/17023540

What's your budget?

It is not so much as to the budget but as to what is the best way to go and not spend extra money for something I wont use. I noticed some are more percise to what they want in quality. I dont need a Cadallic but I dont want a Pinto . I know technology is changing all the time. At my age I want something that maybe close to what is standard and will be around for a while. Like buying a tape drive system that is outdated by now. If I have to spend more to get something that is going to be around for a while and not be outdated in a year for average use, I am willing to do that. I know there are no guarantees. That is why I asked about using my HK avr80 for the THX but it is about 9 years old and may know obsolete. hope this makes sense

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/17024821

thank you very much, what difference will it make if my wife decides to watch dvd's .

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/17025123

I agree that you should save the $1,000 and get the S1. The V10 is better, but not $1,000 better. In theory, a S1 can look as good as a V10 when watching DirecTV since it uses the same panel.

If you plan on using the TV for the internet, make sure your computer can output DVI. I don't think the S1 (Or V10) can take a VGA input. You can use DVI and buy a cheap DVI to hdmi cable from monoprice.com ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10231 ).

Use the $1,000 for a PS3 for the grandkids. It will play Blu-Ray movies and is a great gaming platform. They have a new sleek model that costs $299. I'm pretty sure you can get one from Amazon. It has a built in web browser and wireless internet. The web browser stinks, but you can do basic stuff with it.

I really like that Idea. I have a PS2 with 4 controls, should I upgrade it for them? I do want to spoil my grand kids both inside and outside. during the day we do things and I know at night they are still active and this has been working out great. Can 6 people play anything on this. thanks

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/17025113

How do you know this,, these sets are just getting released and as far as I can gather no one has ever seen them side by side yet, or at least no one has done a S1 vs V10 review yet.

Question,, were did you get to see both these sets together at the same time to know the V10 "smokes" the S1 ???

Yes, I agree, I dont think the V10 is going to be $1,000.00 better than the V10.

From the limited knowlege I have of both these sets, the "main" difference's are the V10 has the THX display setting and the up-graded surround sound.

Cheers

Davyo

I left a reply on this but apparently it disappeared. Can you add THX to the TV or is it better to have it intergrated. We do want surround sound. Can it be added thru my current Harman Kardon AVR 80 that has THX? It is about 9 years old, works great, or is it to old with todays techonology? Is surround sound THX or do they just work together?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The THX certification that the V10 has allows you to set the one of the TV's picture modes to THX which essentially adjusts the setting as close to the THX picture standard as possible, albeit the THX certification is designed for optimal viewing in a theater environment. So if you will be watching mostly Directv in a room that is not pitch black the THX certification might not be as important to you as it would someone who has a dedicated home theater room and watches mostly movies.

My vote would go for the S1, the V10 is an excellent television but the upside(s) over the S1 (more picture adjustments, THX Mode, 1080p/24 processing) are, in my opinion, geared more towards videophiles and it sounds like to me your on the more casual scale of viewers and not in the more hardcore home-theater crowd. If your willing to spend the cash the V10 is one of the best flat-panels money can buy but I doubt highly you will be disappointed with an S1 their picture quality should not be very discernable to a casual viewer.

As far as the PS3, there are no games that allow more than four players. Although imo a PS3 sounds like it would be an excellent purchase for your grandchildren especially since you would get the added bonus of a Blu-ray player and blu-rays will look fantastic on either the S1 or V10.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I am also going to get the V or S 65" inch.

how about VIERA Cast.??? I do understand that that alone is not worth 1,000 but it does seem pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone /forum/post/17025094

get the sammy, save more money and get better picture quality

Nice..... A sammy fan boy in a Panny thread.

take your "BUZZ" and BUZZ OFF.!

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
BOught my 65V10 today, will be installed tomorrow. 2 things made me decide for the V instead of the S1:

-I want to watch Bluray on 24P mode, I'm a movie buff. The 96 Hz refresh rate of the V10 is important to me.

-I love the THX mode, contrary to some other members I don't think it's too dark and I will be watching movies in an almost dark room.

BTW, I didn't pay 1000 bucks more than the S1. The discounts on the V10 are bigger .

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Bump....

Id like to hear from owners of the 65"s1 and the 65"v10 as its one or the other for me.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/17025123

I'm sorry, but I am getting a little weary of people saying this. You are correct when you say "in theory". That's all it is--a theory. No one has proven to me that an S1 can be made to look just as good as a V10, and that they share the same panel so the only differences are some picture controls and some aesthetics. I suspect there is some extra processing going on in the V10 which gives a better and cleaner image vs. the S1. But I don't have any proof either, just what my eyes seem to tell me when looking at the two models, and some reviews which indicate that the V10 has a few extra tricks taking place inside. So I would like to settle this once and for all, with something a bit more scientific.

Too many people on forums who can't afford to purchase the high-end model love to convince themselves that they really are getting the exact same panel, and only a few gizmos and a different style is the difference. This is often not the case, but people still repeat this misinformation all the time.

I think the real interesting question is whether one should take the difference in price by getting a cheaper S1, and take that and get an external processor, like an EDGE for 500 or 600 dollars. That's what I would like to see. A calibrated S1 running in conjunction with a DVDO Edge compared to a calibrated V10 using the internal processing.

Quote:
Use the $1,000 for a PS3 for the grandkids. It will play Blu-Ray movies and is a great gaming platform. They have a new sleek model that costs $299.

If there really is a thousand dollars difference, I would suggest getting a DVDO Edge and a calibration. An S1 pro calibrated with a DVDO Edge could look even better than a V10. I can only speculate...like so many on this AV Science forum often like to do...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts