AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen one (but haven't looked real hard), but is somebody making an electric retractable 2.35 screen out there?

Just occured to me that masking for 1.77 would be as easy as having a second roller with masking material roll down on each side in front of the screen material.

I was thinking of doing a FP in my living room, and I have the wall space for a 2.35 screen, but it needs to be retractable.

TIA

Don

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
They sure do - I called jason here at AVS and had Dalite make me a tensioned Cosmoplitan Electrol in 2.35:1 - in my case 106" x 45.25" with Cinema Vision material. It didn't cost much more than a regular stock size screen. DaLite has a custom screen calculator you can download from their site. Just FYI, I watch 1.78:1 HDTV on a second smaller HCCV screen!! :)

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
There are, but masking options are always expensive. That's why I installed two screens to use with my H79 ( one 2.35:1, one that is 1.78:1 ) - it was cheaper ( since I already had the 1.78:1 screen - also electric ).

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craig-

When you say expensive, how expensive? My concept is to build a retractable 2.35 screen, with a roller above it for masking down to 1.77 (don't need 1.33).

The rollers will hide behind a cornice box, which is already up.

I can build this fairly inexpensively, and will probably use Dazian as the screen material.

I'm thinking about a 96 x 40 inch screen.

Best-

Don

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Quote:
When you say expensive, how expensive?
Since I need to use an electric screen, the cost to buy an electric masking screen is close to twice that of a non masking electric screen. If you can use a fixed screen things are cheaper and easier. Good luck!

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Craig-

If you don't already know, I manufacture masking systems. I will probably build one of these things and stick it in my living room as a demo unit.

Don

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboNL
@Camarillo

Any update on the vertical masking for a retractable screen ?
Robbon-

This is not a problem. I already do this for the 4:3 masking on the 4-way 16:9 masking system. Not sure if you are looking for curtains or for just a fixed mask that will roll down?

Best-

Don

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don,

I am looking for a way to vertically mask a retractable 2.35 screen to 1.78.

Preferably by mounting something in or under the orginal casing that will roll down just before the orginal screen.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander
Doesn't having two screens mean one is closer to the pj and hence out of focus?
Most projectors stay in focus and allow for a short movement. I have mine on a rail, and if I slide it back(say 4"- 6"), the image just gets a little bigger but seems to stay focused...

Mark

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboNL
Don,

I am looking for a way to vertically mask a retractable 2.35 screen to 1.78.

Preferably by mounting something in or under the orginal casing that will roll down just before the orginal screen.
RobboNL-

That's not a problem. Basically, a motorized roller that will mount under your casing with two vertical masks, one on each side. Tell me what size screen, and I can quote you.

Best-

Don

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarillo_cinema
RobboNL-

That's not a problem. Basically, a motorized roller that will mount under your casing with two vertical masks, one on each side. Tell me what size screen, and I can quote you.

Best-

Don
Camarillo,

I am interested in this too. How about a 116" w screen in 2.35 mode?

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgustafson
Camarillo,

I am interested in this too. How about a 116" w screen in 2.35 mode?
RC-

I calculated the length to be about 50 inches, + a little extra for the roller. Mask width would be about 25 inches on each side for 1.78. I prefer veleveteen for the masks. I'll PM you with price.

Best-

Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.