AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer CLD-D504 laserdisc player. It has a coax AC-3 output. I bought a gadget off Ebay that I thought would be able to convert the coax output to TOSLINK, so I can feed the output into an optical input on my processor (Emotiva UMC-200). The gadget doesn't seem to do anything, and I'm unable to determine if it really is faulty, or if there's something wrong with my setup. Has anybody tried this? Is there a particular demodulator/converter that works? I've been able to verify that my cables are good that the input on the processor is good.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypte  /t/1526649/retrieving-ac-3-from-laserdiscs#post_24590343

I have a Pioneer CLD-D504 laserdisc player. It has a coax AC-3 output. I bought a gadget off Ebay that I thought would be able to convert the coax output to TOSLINK, so I can feed the output into an optical input on my processor (Emotiva UMC-200). The gadget doesn't seem to do anything, and I'm unable to determine if it really is faulty, or if there's something wrong with my setup. Has anybody tried this? Is there a particular demodulator/converter that works? I've been able to verify that my cables are good that the input on the processor is good.

What you need is an AC-3 RF Demodulator , currently on the bay. This is the type of device that is needed to get the 5.1 digital sound. Here is a pretty complete list AC-3 audio gear. I use a Yamaha APD-1 but I believe they are all pretty much the same. What device did you get?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old Yamaha DSP-A1 amplifier had such a demodulator. What kind of output(s) do the devices on your list provide?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
The coax output on the 504 is AC-3 RF modulated. It is not a digital output. You need the AC-3 demodulator to convert it to a normal Dolby digital bitstream. Receivers are no longer made with internal demodulators. The one he mentioned will work. I also have a Sony model I would sell. The 504 does not have a standard digital output.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr  /t/1526649/retrieving-ac-3-from-laserdiscs#post_24593242

The coax output on the 504 is AC-3 RF modulated. It is not a digital output. You need the AC-3 demodulator to convert it to a normal Dolby digital bitstream. Receivers are no longer made with internal demodulators. The one he mentioned will work. I also have a Sony model I would sell. The 504 does not have a standard digital output.
I know. I thought the gadget I bought off Ebay would do the conversion. The LDs I'm most interested in viewing again are ordinary stereo. I'll settle for that. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts