AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone retrofitted fabric walls into an existing room... ?

Or have any good ideas to do this? Obstacles I see are existing baseboard I'd like to keep in place and not building out doorways etc..

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
we built right over the baseboards and case molding around the doorway on this project. The room was brand new builder built. Carpeted and ready to go. Landshark and I turned it into his theater.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
we built right over the baseboards and case molding around the doorway on this project. The room was brand new builder built. Carpeted and ready to go. Landshark and I turned it into his theater.

Thanks for the explanation and the link. Looks great!

I'm trying to put together a persuasive plan to basically frame out our "temporary" theater-in-a-bedroom -- hide the treatments, darken the room, put a frame up front for a permanent screen wall covering a window, etc -- because it is looking like it will take a couple of years to build the "real theater."

Details like how to handle existing features in the room (the door jamb ends up seeming twice as deep) will be key to selling the household on it! (That, and the promise a professional painter, drywalled, and whatever else is needed will make it look like it was never not a bedroom, once the "real" theater is built.)

Property Furniture Interior design Lighting Building

·
Registered
211 Posts

Very cool. How are those panels fastened to the walls?

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Too much VELCRO I assume you mean. Yeah, I would guess that it might take just a Botton size piece at each corner if there is a little friction with the other panels (friction fit).

My first step is to find AWESOME pictures of bedroom sized theaters with simple all fabric walls, to sell the spouse on the concept, but having answers to the "how" is critical because once she says "Gee that looks great" the next three questions are "how are you going to do it?" (the more coherent the answers the batter), and "how much does it cost?" (A lot cheaper than building a new garage right now, honey), and "are you budgeting for a professional to fix any scars when we turn the room back into a bedroom" (Always answer yes.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts