AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old pair of sony three way towers (SS-MF315). Since I have trouble throwing away things that seem like they should be re-used, I was wondering if replacing the drivers (and crossover, too, I assume?) and using the cabinet would be a worthwhile project. I've been looking at partsexpress.com, but I'm totally lost and have no clue what to look for, speaker-building-spec-wise.

here's a picture I was able to pull from google:

some specs aboot speaker size:

6 1/2" HOP Woofer, 3" Hi-Polymer Coated Cone Midrange, a 3/4" Tweeter

do I need to provide more information, like cabinet volume or things like that? I will be using a marantz 4002 (80w per channel) receiver to power them.

thanks in advance for the advice and for the patience with my noob questions. looking forward to learnin' from the ground up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and if you guys can point me in the way of any speaker building sites of knowledge for noobs, please do so.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! those are some quality stickies.
thanks for that. I'll check back in two weeks after I go through them.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts
If you spend enough time reading the Mission Accomplished section with published designs you will probably start thinking about scrapping the notion of fitting a Chevy small block engine in that Volkswagen body and just build a proven design from scratch.

If you read the Statements and the Khanspires thread from beginning to end you will be hooked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts