AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a G70 tomorrow and the green and blue tubes will most likely need to be replaced.

I have never retubed a PJ before but I confident that I can do it with a decent set of instructions. I am planning on documenting my installation and writing up instructions with photos on my web page so that it will hppefully become a good resource to other people out there like me who have never done it but would like to. I have done similar instructions for things I have done to my car and have gotten a lot of good feedback from my readers so I thought I would do the same thing for the CRT crowd. You can see some of the stuff I have done for my car here .

Now the problem is I don't have any instructions on how to do it. I am currently downloading the service manual so I am hoping that it will help. But can anyone out there give me some pointers, or good instructions? By helping me you may help lots of other people as well. Any information that you can provide me with would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I look forward to your write up when it is finished. Hope you include a lot of photos. A search will get you a few threads to help get the project started.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Moe, For the difference in price between new Sony tubes and VDC rebuilds, only $400 per tube I think, which way are you going to go? On my last G70 I used VDC for all three and am happy with the results. I am shopping for another G70 that needs tubes and will go new from Sony for a comparison.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
matrix, I am getting a brand new blue tube from one of the members here and I am going to get a VDC rebuilt tube for the green. The red tube looks brand new already. It sounds like you have already retubed a G70. Do you have any suggestions, tips or any information at all for someone who has never done it before?

To be more specific, the part that I am most worried about is transfering the parts from the old tube to the new tube.

I know there are some people out there who have retubed this projector, can anyone give me any tips, things to watch out for, things to be careful about, etc. Do I have to worry about losing the liquid in the tube? I have downloaded the service manual and looked it over and it definitely seems like something that I wont have a problem with, but advice from others would defintely be helpful. As I stated in my original post I am planning on documenting the entire installation with lots of photos and instructions so if this question ever comes up again in the future we can just point people to my page.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Moe, The procedure is pretty simple. All the connections are with plugs on the wiring harness. Just make sure you have all of them hooked up before you power up. The yoke assemblies seat one on top of the other with the little plastic washer between the focus coils and the deflection yoke with 6 mm between the focus coil and the last assembly being the 2 pole 4 pole magnets on the end of the tube. Just remember to run the contrast and brightness down at 20 each with a video signal input for 24 hours to warm in the tubes before you go for the setup. I would recommend you download the service manual and read the page devoted to re tubing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi,

Moe, I've allready sent you this link, but for those interested, Here are some pics of a G70 recently retubed... (sorry for bad quality pictures and some french sentences)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/laric/Retubage_G70.html

Matrix fairly describe the stuff, it's pretty easy, take just the basic cares and check everything twice ;)

The only issue I had was the HV connections to splitter a bit hard to unplug... so I've remove the right part of the aluminum box to easy the process...

SM will definitly help.

--Patrice

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Patrice, I looked at your link the other day and enjoyed your photo essay on the re tube. Nice job! Hope everything is working well on the G70

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.