AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a Sony 07 msp (g) to my projector.

I have two problems. The HV cable looks to short for me and the plugs is somewhat different which sony has a soft rubber cap instead of Barcos hard plastic.

I bought the Sony tube because it is was cheaper than an the original Barco tube.

I have had a little talk with Per Johnny and he says to me it is an straightforward job, but he would not recommend switching the HV cable from my Barco tube to the sony tube.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I always splice the HV cables together. Now you know why Barco charges $100's more for about 12 cm of HV lead..:)

Solder the splice point, and use about 6 layers of heat shrink tubing that extends well past the splice point.

That should do it.

Curt

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well in my case there was about 250 USD. That is expensive 12 cm.

It is possible to solder. I thought it looked like a coal wire. Shrink tubing is easy to come by. My father is selling welding guns and guess what they use a lot of shrink tubing. They also have a soldering gun.

This was quite a relief. I thought I had really done it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooray.

My old green tube is out. I will proceed further tomorrow. I will need to splice together the HV cable from my old onto my new sony tube.

It went much easier than I thought. I did not even had to use force.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get some of the high voltage 3M rubber splicing tape.

I had a tube short out and take a power supply with it because of a poor splice on the red HV line. Remember that one, Curt? ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope the splice is good enough. It is already done. It is not me that has done the soldering, but it was a little bit tricky because of the gel inside.

It has been soldered, reinforced with super glue on on both ends over the soldering. Six layers of shrink tubing. The cable is not very flexible over the soldering points.

I cross my fingers. I was warned by Per Johnny as mentioned earlier in this post. As always I am doing this on my own.

At this moment I will start putting in the new tube. I am sweating.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now it is done.

IT WORKS!!.

The image is twisted 30 degrees clockwise, but that I will fix with the deflection yoke. The worst of all the image is sharp.

Should I do anything with the magnets?

I don't have a clue what the magnets do and how to operate them safely. I can not get to them with my hand without touching any HV cable.

Can anyone feed me with a teaspoon on this. I don't feel safe, if I don't know what I am doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.