AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A2 and am about to return it for my purchase price. I'm one of the few having the 'garbled audio' that appears in the center channel(using optical output). This only occurs on HD-DVD with non DTS soundtracks(DD+). What I don't know is if its an issue with the A2 or my 6 year old HK Sig 2 Processor(which handles DTS-no HDMI of course).

I can either return the A2 and find an XA1 and use the analog outputs into my processor, or purchase another 2nd hand processor (something newer and perhaps a bit better than the HK) and hope the garbled audio issue isn't still there on the optical input.

Spending a grand on the XA2 isn't feasible right now.

If I get an Xa1 would I regret it? Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The XA-1 is fantastic. Slower to boot and load discs, but once it gets going it's fine. On top of that, you can get used ones for less than the A2, and the XA-1 has the build quality of a much, much more expensive unit. The A2 doesn't have the same chassis.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would make sure that your HK isn't the problem or that you may have a defective A2. Garbled audio certainly is NOT an issue with the A2 (or at least not mine). I have owned many DVD players since my original Sony DVP-S7000 (back in 1997) and the A2 has the clearest, most cinema like sound of any of those DVD players (including my current Sony DVP-NS3100ES). No, the Toshiba HD-A2 has much better musical detail, speech detail, and surround effects detail. Oh, and it upconverts (wow) better than anything I've ever seen (it even looks great at 480p).

So, it's either the HK, a bad A2 or I am just one lucky dog to have a perfect A2. I certainly wouldn't get rid of mine for an older A1 or even XA1; and personally from what I've read, I don't think I'd even part with my cost-effective A2 for the XA2 (but that's just me again).

BTW, I own HK equipment too and love it. So, check your cables and make sure your toslink is clean. That is all...

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebedna /forum/post/0

I have an A2 and am about to return it for my purchase price. I'm one of the few having the 'garbled audio' that appears in the center channel(using optical output). This only occurs on HD-DVD with non DTS soundtracks(DD+). What I don't know is if its an issue with the A2 or my 6 year old HK Sig 2 Processor(which handles DTS-no HDMI of course).

I can either return the A2 and find an XA1 and use the analog outputs into my processor, or purchase another 2nd hand processor (something newer and perhaps a bit better than the HK) and hope the garbled audio issue isn't still there on the optical input.

Spending a grand on the XA2 isn't feasible right now.

If I get an Xa1 would I regret it? Thanks for any advise.

from what i've heard, many of those experiencing this issue have narrowed it down to their AVR's (usually older sony) inability to handle the max bitrate DTS. in most of the cases, hooking the A2 up to a different receiver resolved the issue - since the XA1 does the same thing, you might have the same problem if you stick with the optical connection. the XA1 would, however, allow you to use the analog outs for the HD sound.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It is absolutely your receiver. 99% of the music/sound effects sound fine--it's just that a lot of the dialogue sounds like everyone has the flu, right? If you don't want to replace your receiver and it has 5.1 analog inputs, I'd definitely exchange the A2 for an A1/XA1, which have 5.1 outputs.

I got lucky in that a friend of mine had a one-year-newer but otherwise identical receiver which added 5.1 analogs and he was willing to trade with me until I can afford a replacement. Audio over the S/PDIF still sounds awful (same crappy DTS decoder), but over the analogs it's AMAZING.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Amir mentioned last night in the Insiders thread that a firmware update for the A2 should be released today or tomorrow

·
Registered
13 Posts
I grabbed an xA1 for $400 and it's a fine unit. Slow in regards to boot as load, but using the 5.1 analogs on this to play discs with trueHD is amazing. the build the quality on the XA1 is first rate. I do not regret purchasing this player.

Now we just need more discs with trueHD!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My processor is the problem as suspected. I was able to find out who the engineer for the HK Sig 2 was and was able to email him about the issue. He said that the processor was using a 3rd generation DTS chipset and wouldn't be able to handle 1.5 mpbs over optical. He recommended upgrading to a more current processer (gen 6 dts chipset or above).

Sounds like the xa1 is my next move. I'll just use the analog 5.1 inputs. Problem is I won't be able to use my Oppo for SACD or DVD-A...unless there is some type of switcher out there to allow 2 devices to connect to one set of analog inputs on the processer...

Thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you don't ever have both devices turned on at the same time, you should be able to use 5 RCA Y (2 female into 1 male) cables to run both of them into the same inputs. Ugly spaghetti mess, but should work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.