AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a couple posts floating around on different threads, but basically here's the situation. I received the JU6500 direct from samsung today and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Motion is pretty terrible and PQ isnt up to par (particularly dark scenes and blacks). I got a 4k because that seemed to be the thing to do, but I have zero content. I stream from HBO and amazon and play xbox, so I think 1080p may be better. I searched around and saw I may still be able to get a samsung plasma F5300. Will this outperform the JU6500 at 1080p? The JU7100 is out of my budget (1000ish), and it looks like the only other 4k tv in range is the LG UB8500 which I know nothing about. Advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have a couple posts floating around on different threads, but basically here's the situation. I received the JU6500 direct from samsung today and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Motion is pretty terrible and PQ isnt up to par (particularly dark scenes and blacks). I got a 4k because that seemed to be the thing to do, but I have zero content. I stream from HBO and amazon and play xbox, so I think 1080p may be better. I searched around and saw I may still be able to get a samsung plasma F5300. Will this outperform the JU6500 at 1080p? The JU7100 is out of my budget (1000ish), and it looks like the only other 4k tv in range is the LG UB8500 which I know nothing about. Advice?

Thanks
Try the J6300.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Wow. Another person saying the JU6500 is terrible. Shame of samsung to try to rip people off so bad. It's a 60hz tv so it's pretty bare bones. The 7100 is 100 better, but if u can't afford it there had been quite a few happy f5300 people. It'll be alot better for the price than the JU6500 that's for sure! The only other decent 4k tv in your price range is probably a Vizio P series, but I'd still go plasma at that point.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah you would really have to step up to a higher series. If you want native 120Hz with the dimming edge lit panel, you would need to enter 7xxx territory. Especially for gaming.

In regards to the F5300, great entry level plasma. It won't have nearly the brightness and pop the LED will get you but it will handle motion better (mainly because there isn't any frame interpolation happening in that panel). I will warn that the panel sucked for glare and reflection as only the 8500 class had the Carbon Glass that kicked up the panel brightness to combat glare and ambient light reflection.

If your budget is under $1000 (Am I reading that correctly?) I would recommend buying an open box previous gen high end model. There is no shame in getting an older high end set it will blow away any/all entry level crap. I did this for years with projectors (JVC specifically).

Try to get an older GT/VT series Panasonic Plasma, they will destroy an F5300. Or try to get an older 7xxx/8xxx Samsung Panel. Maybe H or F generation.

THis is just the humble opinion of a guy whom has stared at TVS sets almost every day at work for 13 years. Including the ones I suggested and the ones you are considering. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where would I find these older open box plasmas? The bestbuy near me hasnt had any open boxes the last few times Ive been in.

I also mimicked the picture settings for the JU7100 and there has been some improvement. I am kind of afraid to return this tv because I got it straight from samsung and their policy states there may be a 15% restocking fee.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where would I find these older open box plasmas? The bestbuy near me hasnt had any open boxes the last few times Ive been in.

I also mimicked the picture settings for the JU7100 and there has been some improvement. I am kind of afraid to return this tv because I got it straight from samsung and their policy states there may be a 15% restocking fee.
To be honest with you buddy it would have to be Amazon or eBay so it comes with greater risk than simply buying from a trusted source as new, so theres always that to consider. You may be in the same position for an F5300 as they were last new in 2013 model year.

However, I know Samsung would upgrade you without penalty to a 7xxx set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked up the JU650D yesterday from Sam's. Not a bad set for an introductory 4K tv. Best budget 4k so far compared to the Vizio P(e model) and the Samsung 6840. Both of which had their own issues but neither sharing the same problems.

So far the JU650D has most of the issues that both of the other sets suffered solved. As best as a 50" intro 4k tv can. The up-scaling is much better than the previous gen models. However, with motion settings and other "clean up" features on the tv cause trouble. Not sure of the best or most commonly used term but a bit of juddering and crayon effect occur. If you let the set work with little to no clean up features, it works exceptionally well.

I have yet to watch any sports on the tv or play a video game. So as far as the motion blurring I have no true sense yet.

This set is replacing my old Samsung LN46A950. The old set works fine but am looking for a new one. If the wife and I find that the JU650D falls short of expectations we will look at a JU7100 or a new Sony 4k that has the android OS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe I spoke too soon on the JU650D. Came home from work and my wife asked why the tv wasn't showing any of the sources. For some reason it won't pick up any input and after having check for an update it is in a continual boot loop saying it is in a process of updating. It then shuts down and continues the same process over and over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts