AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is day 29 of my 30 day return window. After reading everyone's impressions of the GWIII's I'm wondering if I should be returning my set for the new one. I bought my 60XBR800 for the same price that the 60WE610 is slated to sell for (here in Canada) so at least I didn't pay any more for the older one. But I'm finding it very difficult to be content with my purchase after reading things like "the GWII doesn't even compare with then new GWIII". It would be nice to wait and see the new set first hand but I don't have that luxury. SonyStyle.ca says they won't be in Canada until Oct.8. I've seen the 42" in person which looked very good but I really had nothing to compare it to at the store.

I could do all the UMR tweaks and likely have something that is better than the GWIII but wouldn't it be safe to say that similarly tweaking the new one will yield an even more superior set?

This is my quandry. So I'm appealing to you. What would you guys do?

Kev

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you pick up your GWII XBR on sale? I noticed a lot of places clearing out the GWII at a good price. Those sales got me thinking about getting a GW :)

The new 60" XBR has an MSRP of 5,500USD or 7500+CDN. I think the sets will sell for near MSRP when they're first available... so expect to pay an additional premium on the GWIII XBR.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it was on sale. I should've known, eh? I'm only interested in the WE610 at this point. The 60XBR950 will likely sell for 8K cdn, which is way out of my budget.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Put it this way - I needed (due to size limitations) the 42" set - so my choice was made for me. After seein the postings that are here, if I had to choose, I would go for the III.

Enither way - good luck, and ENJOY IT!

David

·
Registered
61 Posts
Send it back for a refund or exchange if you can! Since you've already seen the GWII in action, you can now compare the new GWIII's. It'll be like a first purchase all over again!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would return it. I saw the 50" GWIII on display right next to the 50" GWII and it was brighter with better contrast and colors. It wasn't a subtle difference. It was clearly a better picture.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From reading the other threads, it looks like the potential for the two are very much the same, but the GWIII comes with a much better setup from the factory, and comes with more user menu adjustments to get a better picture.

A GWII sitting on a showroom floor isn't going to look anything like a tweaked one. My GWII went from ugly to amazing after an hour of umr's tweaks and avia calibration.

Just from what I've read so far...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went to the store to inquire about returning my set. The sales guy that I dealt with previously just happened to see me in the Customer Service line and asked me what was wrong. I told him I wanted to return my 60xbr800 and wait for the better 60we610. He then ran away to talk to his manager and came back to tell me that I could keep my set, and in a couple of weeks when the new model comes in they would exchange it for me and refund any difference.

Now I don't have to suffer with my 30"JVC for those 2 weeks. Sometimes these guys at the Future Shop surprise me.

Kev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.