Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is the only place that has shared my problem

with Sony HD-100 drop outs and fan noise- I have 4 of them

and have return authorization to return 2 to Crutchfield.

My dilema is I really like the boxes despite their bad habits, and wonder if any other box will be as good. The

Mitsu is the only other I would consider(no fan)

Has anyone else returned their Sony? I am leaning toward

keeping them and HOPE Sony will respond with a fix-they

do not have a good reputation for support.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I sent my HD100 back to SONY for repair/update of those problems(5/22). I am waiting for return of the unit. I'll post what they did(or did not do) as soon as possible.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you-I just spoke to Sony tech who is well aware of

drop out problem and this forum- he says they are working toward a

fix via software. There is no fix for the fan noise(he said fan is

controlled by a thermostat):mine runs 24/7 and cannot be disabled

He says the HD-100 is still being shipped and no recall or

replacement model is planned.

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
355 Posts
I sent it back to SONY(Westwood, MA--the only repair center for the HD100) for the following reasons:

1. It was recommended by their level II tech, although I could not pin him down if there really was a hardware fix.

2. The 90 day free warranty was running out. After that date I have to pay the labor.

3. The fan noise is obviously a hardware fix.

4. It's their problem to solve and not mine. If they send it back with no repair, then I really have something to complain about. If it is defective manufacturing/design then I want my money back or letter stating that a "new and improved model" will be mine(fat chance of this !).

5. From what I was told, hardly anyone has sent the unit back to them. Let them experiment on my machine. Can't hurt ??

6. I got tired of the dropouts and the fan noise. Also, I had an extra A55 unit which I'm using now with the same elliptical antenna. NO dropouts and NO fan noise, BUT... no great and fantastic HD picture.

I will fully report back to this forum as soon as I get the unit back and have a chance to test it. BUT, I was told by the level II tech that they would "bring it up to current specs"--that probably means dropouts and fan noise !! We'll see...

·
Registered
540 Posts
rz... i'm surprised you sent your hd-100 to sony... I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Not sure what that's going to accomplish... every tech person I've spoken to seems to indicate they're trying to fix the half hour problem via software update.

I'll be interested in hearing what happens.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, mine works (hate saying that)with the "work arounds" to avoid dropouts. The lip-sync issues in D.C. seem to be alright now, thanks to CBS. A problem with DD sound on some Directv PPV appears not to be a Sony problem. I would still like to get station information for the OTH stations. The picture/audio is the main thing for me. I can watch most programming when I want, with no interruption or degradation, 98% of the time. Yes, I have advised Sony that I will take the case to the State's Attorney General's Office if the problems (we all work around) are not fixed. It still bother's me that Sony Techs (and Directv for that matter) tell users to un-plug their units from the wall to re-boot. Children watch this and sooner or later one is going to be home alone and attempt the "fix" their self and get hurt. If the device needs to be rebooted, then design another safer way. I agree, the unit should be sent back if it is getting to the end of the warranty. Or, you feel it is an unsafe product. Sorry for the long post.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I had forgotten to mention the choppy DD sound on music

channels as well- I use a trusty SAT-A2 for whole house

DD music distribution-never misses a beat!

I have concluded (at least for now) to stay with the

devil I know- everytime I stray from a Sony product I

regret it. Happy Holiday, Mark

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Just in case no one was following the thread I contributed to: my HD-100 has been quietly running fan-free for almost a month now; I even drilled some "venting" holes in the case top for good measure. Just do a search on either my username or "spliffstar".

I'm patiently awaiting a software patch for the well-documented glitches; audio+video performance is otherwise excellent (and the front-panel display is great).

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
markrubin,

I have a lot of Sony gear as well. Unfortunately, some of their current products have disappointed me.

After hearing these problems with the HD-100, I bought an RCA DTC-100, for about 1/2 the price of the Sony. It works just fine.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to Stanton re fan noise- I found your info on disabling the

fan and thank you--when I first peeked inside and disconnected the fan, the entire unit shut down and I saw

it had an RPM sensor

if anyone has details on removing the

sensor board I would appreciate it.

It looks to me as though the fan was an afterthought by Sony- it is so large they had to stick it in at a 45 deg

angle, making the fan noise even worse.

Once the fan noise is resolved, the other bugs may be easier

to accept. Thanks-from soon to be fan free.

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To rlsmith- I had the RCA DTC-100 but could not get used to the remote and I see a big improvement with the

component video outputs. But the biggest feature of the

HD-100 is the seamless switching between cable and DSS-

a feature I am now denied if I don't want the 1/2 hour

dropout.

To Mosaic- did you return for refund? what did you replace

it with?

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to Stanton- the display is great- credit where credit is due

1 - 12 of 12 Posts