AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm speaker shopping for a couple of towers to be mostly used for stereo. My budget is about $2000, but don't want to spend any more than necessary. We don't have much for audio stores in the area so I can't go out and do much comparison.

So, the question is at what point in the increasing cost of speakers do you not see a noticable difference in sound quality that justifies the additional cost? I'm guessing there would be a huge jump going from a pair of $400 speakers to $900 speakers. But would there be much difference going from $1200 speakers to $2000 speakers. Maybe at some point one couldn't tell much difference? That point may be much higher than I'm thinking of.

It is very difficult to pick speakers based on internet information and not be able to actually listen and compare. It seems like everytime I get close to making a decision I end up reading something that changes my mind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As with anything there is a point of diminishing returns, however, I can attest that it is not in the $1200 to $2000 range.

I moved from $1200 worth of bookshelves all around to replacing my L/R with nicer towers, bringing my total minus sub woofer to around $2000 and the jump was HUGE.

I have also had the pleasure of listening to around a $10,000 system and $20,000 system through friends and family, and each was a noticeable (an significant) jump up from the price tier below it.

As with any purchase, just because a speaker cost more doesn't make it better. I have heard $2000 speakers that sound worse than $1000 speakers. In general, however, doubling your budget from $1000 to $2000 should be a pretty substantial jump.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/19572788

Substitute any brand for NHT above and will be true for every speaker reviewed!

That's pretty much what I've concluded based on reviews, too
Everything's always better than average on whatever price point, so it's strange that the actual average or below average speakers don't even exist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, that give me a new perspective in speaker shopping.

I've always looked for towers because I didn't want to buy a sub. But maybe the better choice would be for a $2000 set of bookshelves and then follow up with a sub after saving a few bucks.

I think I will have to take a road trip one weekend where I can actually listen and compare.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
There are very few towers that can produce bass the way a sub does. And probably none that will substitute for a sub in home theater use.

There are a few speakers that defy these price point comparisons. For instance, for theater use, the TCA PRO10's appear to be giant killers. I'm sure the same can be said for a few choices in music speakers.

I shopped the used market and DIY, and for what I have in my speakers, I bet I'd have to spend 7-8 times the money for any marked improvement (in my application).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.