AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well you've horribly overexposed the picture and have the back light maxed so there's no way of giving an honest answer without knowing what it really looks like. IF it were that bad in person, definitely yes. But it's not so it really depends on how noticeable it looks to you. If you're not picking up on it while watching something, then it shouldn't really matter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea if it's over exposed. I shut the flash off and set the camera to Auto. This is exactly what I see with my eyes. The back light is not maxed out. I believe it's at eight. Doesn't look much better set to 1. During the day it doesn't bother me, but at night it's a different story.

·
Registered
117 Posts
how can one live with it......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Bobb,

The TV is not calibrated, but even with the back light set low it appears this way. I don't really see spending time calibrating a TV with clouding this bad unless I end up keeping it. I have till this Sunday before my 30 day's are up at Best Buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue with mine - I will check it tonight on a completely dark screen in a completely dark room with backlight set to max and then to min and see how it looks compared to your panel.

I just got my set Saturday and played with the settings all weekend. While I can get this light to be minimized, I can't get it to entirely be gone.

I am seriously looking into returning this set in exchange for an xbr9 because of this, an audio issue, and picture quality (or possibly just abondoning the LCD idea and going with plasma).

I'll post you tomorrow with what I see on this panel tonight.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Stick /forum/post/17013672

I will play with those two setting tonight to see if it will actually help or not.

Should have gotten the Sammy B750. After i calibrated it and when i have a black background with white credits rolling, it's black, no blue tinge, no flashlights, no clouds. I get bezel like blacks everywhere on the screen. This is in addition to the awesome PQ overall with the shadow detail, colors, and UCP.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
as other's have said this TV has a serious case of bad screen uniformity. Don't know what calibrating is going to do. You can try lower the backlight but if it bothers the heck out of you when watching TV and in dark scenes, return it.

But yeah that is a serious case of both flashlighting and clouding., that is not your camera as the other guy suggested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I checked out my set last night. I left all settings on standard and only varied the backlight level from min to max.

At max I see light cones in all four corners of the panel but nothing bleeding in along any of the 4 sides - just from the corners. Facing the panel, the top two are the same size (protruding toward the center of the panel about 4" - 5") and equally bright, the bottom left is somewhat less noticable, and honestly the bottom right is pretty faint.

With backlight at min, the top two are pretty faint, the bottom left is almost gone, and the bottom right is really tough to pick up at all.

If the image you posted of your panel is at standard settings with the exception of cranking up the backlight, then I would say it is substantially worse than mine. If you also have the white turned all the way up that may explain the difference between ours - I did not increase white or set it to vivid - I left it in a mode that I would watch it in 99% of the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I returned the KDL-40V5100. I'm thinking about waiting for the Samsung LN40B750 to come down in price. Final straw came while watching Kill Bill 2 during the coffin scene. It appeared too look like my TV was trying to help her see in the dark.

Anyone have good luck ordering TV's on-line?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts