AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Sony kw34 HD1 a few years back and it just recently kicked the bucket (the V and B boards went out)

After 3 months of dealing the 'The Good Guys' repair network (a nightmare, I might add) they have finally decided to simply replace the TV with a different model (the KW-34 has been discontinued)

I actually use all the features of this TV (HDTV tuner, I'm using a VGA converter to use it as a monitor, progressive scan, blah blah blah) and I'm not going to settle for any replacement that doesn't support all these features.

Plus, while I paid nowhere near the $9K list price for it, I'd like to get a comperably priced replacement (i.e. an upgrade, given how far prices have dropped)

What have other people experienced as far as what they'll let me spend on a replacement?

In short, what strategy would you guys recommend in dealing with them?

Thanks,

~jOhn

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would ask for a KD-34XBR2 if GG still have one. The KD-34XBR2 was the next generation model up from the KW and certainly appears better than the new KV-34XBR800 (for one thing, the menus are superior).

Just curious, what year did you purchase your KW and what was the build date (this can be found on the back of the set).

I always wanted a KW when I was in college.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
IMO, you're lucky to get them to replace it at all (though they certainly ought to)...I just wouldn't expect them to give you a comparably-priced model.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think you underestimate how far down prices have gone. Sony doesn't HAVE anything comparable for that price. The most comparable equipment is the KD-34XBR2, a 34" widescreen HDTV with a built-in tuner. (Some prefer certain features of the KV-34XBR800, but it has no built-in tuner.) And they go for less than half that price now. The most reasonable expectation is that they will replace the TV, not the present price value, which, in today's TV market, would get you some kind of megascreen that's not direct-view CRT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After talking with them, it doesn't look like I'm going to be too badly off.

They are willing to give me any tube-type tv with a value of up to $4500.

Which isn't exactly fair, since none of these have all the features of the old model.

They won't let me use the money towards a TV and HDTV tuner, they'll just let me buy a 'single unit.'

However, on the bright side, they seemed willing to let me use the 'money' towards the purchase of a plasma screen.

Basically, they'll let me upgrade as long as it's on a high margin item (i.e. they make some money on the deal)

The current plan is to go back at the end of next month (when the sales guys are hungry) and try and a) Upgrade to the model I want (not the one they want to steer me towards) or b) try and get them to give me a TV and a tuner.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Easy choice (for me). I would get the 720P capable version of the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma and the Samsung STB. Out the door for less than $2K ( + your $4500 ofcourse ). Hell of a deal if you ask me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly what I'm trying to do :)

All the reviews of the Pana TH-42PHD5UY say it's the unit to buy. The real question is: Do the 'Good guys' carry this model?

And is it too much to ask that they special order it if they don't?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the TH-42PHD5UY model is the commercial version. The Good Guys probably carry the consumer model which is the PT-42PHD4-P. Same display with FCC class B certification (and a higer price). Good Luck

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Why in the world would you go from a solid, direct-view set to a plasma? Plasmas, compared to other display devices, are quite poor in terms of cost and performance.

What features does the KW have that other sets you have looked at don't have?

I really believe the KD-34XBR2 is what you need as far as a proper replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The KD-34XBR2 has been discontinued, so that's not an option.

Plus, from what I've seen, the current plasma displays are getting very close to tubes in terms of quality. Add in better computer support than monitors, slightly larger viewing area, plus the amazing form factor...

If I was spending my own money, I'd get any one of a number of tube-based monitors. But with a $4.5K 'rebate' it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I can still find it at several BXs (if you have a miltary ID, this would be useful). Also, I still believe Soundtrack/Ultimate Electronics is carrying a few.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KW came with one of the best 3:2 pull downs / line doublers out there it also came with an external tuner for HDTV.

To the 2nd part. It doesn't matter where I can find another model, since I'm limited to what Good Guys can get their hands on.

At ths point I'm waffling between spending my own money and getting a Plasma (about $1,500) more) or spending none of my own money and getting a tube HDTV, and an external tuner.

Ideally, instead of an external tuner, I'd do a 'roll your own' tuner using a HiPix card. I've got a Tivo (hacked to 135 hours recording time!) and I'm so used to 'what I want to watch, when I want it" that the plasma may work a bit better with this (much better / easier to congiure it to work with a PC)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.