AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I was a (relatively speaking) long time ReplayTV user who got my first unit back when they first broke out. I have always felt it is the cleanest, easiest, and most personal PVR available, but as of about 2 months ago I sold my last Replay unit and have been strictly TiVo. The reason for this is two fold, one, I like the integrated unit, saves me space in the rack and possible problems (fewer components), and secondly, dual tuners. Is the 4000 series going to offer dual 'tuners', and if not, why not? I would think that would be a highly sought after feature, and most Replay owners would have all but demanded it. I know that the unit has no actual 'tuner' to speak of, but why not the ability to record simultaneously from two sources? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
This has been discussed in previos threads, but simply put, that would require two decoders. The decoder seems to be the most complex peice of hardware in the system and would be very costly and pretty hot.

I agree with you, though. It would be nice to have the second tuner. Even if you buy two 4000's, since they don't communicate in order to resolve conflicts (meaning that if there is a conflict on one 4000 and the other 4000 isn't recording anything, you will still miss one of the shows), a more integrated system seems like a good idea.

I just think replay missed the boat on this one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I feel that separating the storage of recordings from the display is the key to multi-user / multi-show usage. For example, instead of allowing each 4000 to see shows from another 4000, why not offer a dedicated storage unit that has disk storage, ability to record X shows at the same time, ability to stream X recordings at the same time. Then offer a set top box that simply displays shows to the connected TV. Then one could pay for features like the number of simultaneous recordings / playbacks you want up to X (some limit in the core server) and use the "terminals" as needed. The core server could even offer options like RAID disk storage for those willing to pay for fault-tolerant recording space.

The ReplayTV interface is fantastic and I think that building a core server type box with the interface of replay would rock.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you will look in the threads about the 4000 Series, a ReplayGuy explained that the 4000 Series would have single tuners because with the video sharing feature, multiple 4000's was more flexible than a single unit with two tuners.

In other words, they want to to buy 2 ReplayTV 4000's.

Joe

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't understand why you can't record one thing and watch another with two tuners. Tuners are cheap. Sure, you wouldn't be able to pause live TV or any of those cool features if it was using the encoder for another broadcast, but still you could still watch one thing live and record another. It seems really restrictive to not allow users to watch a show if the thing is recording. Like when you turn on the TV to watch 10 minutes of news only to find you can only watch 10 minutes of Dexter's Lab because it is recording.

I realize I can bypass my Replay and DirecTV and switch over and get news from cable, but it is too much work.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That's why you split the RF feed and send it to your TV.

Technically I have 4 tuners on my TV stack:

TV (RF cable)

ReplayTV (RF Cable + Digital Cable)

Digital Cable

VCR (RF Cable)

When ReplayTV is recording I watch with either the TV/analog cable or, if it is not recording from the cable box (it usually isn't), the digital cable.

I use my A/V receiver to switch between the sources; the TV uses the s-video capable Line 1 for ReplayTV and DVD, Line 2 for the digital cable box (s-video from the cable box goes to the ReplayTV) and VCR, and the RF input for analog cable.

Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did not really see value in watching one show while recording another through the replaytv - as DrJoe said I would watch using my TV tuner which is set up the same way.

I would like multiple recording at the same time., So for now, I bought a nother replay and am getting avcast products to make both units visible / controllable throughout the house - then we can record two a t a time and watch two at a time...

I was speculating on a more useful way to design the 4000 type box and still get people to buy mutiple units - just ones with different capabilties - like a viewer versus a recorder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.