AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i went and returned it, i just wasn't happy with the quality of craftsmanship or with the picture quality.

It felt very cheaply made, the tray made allot of noise and just didn't seem to slide very smooth. As for the picture quality, when watching it on my 36" Wega XBR i could see the color flicker, it was annoying to me. When i connected it to my Panasonic 200U lcd projector it just did'nt look sharp. I adjusted the projector with Avia but it looked soft. When i adjusted the sharpness on the player to +1 or +2 it introduced allot of noise into the picture, i tried leaving it at 0 and adjusting the projector sharpness but it still was on the soft side.

As of now i am going to set my spare pc into a HTPC and use it with the projector and just buy a cheaper progressive scan player for the Wega. Oh one other question, how does using a HTPC compare to like a Denon 1600 as in picture quality?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I measured the high frequency response on the DD-8040 and it was indeed week, down -3.5db at 5Mhz on the AVIA multiburst pattern, this results in a softer picture. The color flicker is evident on color bar patterns.

I got a used Panasonic XP30 (same internal video quality as Denon 1600) on EBAY last week and measured it. It has perfect flat frequency response and a much sharper picture due to this. I also confirmed no color flicker issue. An HTPC using software DVD players would be inferior to Faroudja-based DVD players due to the poor video de-interlacing in software like PowerDVD or WinDVD - I see combing on some improperly flagged DVD tiles with that software.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.