AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my A1 started skipping and freezing on KK last week so I decided to put the Service plan and return policy to the tes at my local BB. I was under the impression that i had purchased a Replacement Plan when i had really bought a Service Plan from BB. So, i took it down to BB, told them i wanted to replace it and I was promptly sent to the counter at geek squad where a skinny kid in a Resovoir Dogs outfit told me the difference between Service plans and Replacement plans. I was under the impression that there was no Difference-how wrong I was according to Mr. Brown!

So we went round and round and he finally said hey maybe I can let you get a Replacement plan??Really??Lets do it .....he said hold on....let me talk to my manager....the manager came over, exchanged pleasantries with me and said well we dont sell replacement plans for "Big Ticket" items he said...i said, well that sucks thats what i though i was buying and i have 4 or 5 of these at home! He said hold on I'll be right back maybe i can help you. He wqent into the back and after 5 minutes suddenly appeared. He said"We dont normally do this but i am going to exchange this for you, but you must realize this is not normal for us". I said thank you very much" and walked out with a brand new A2.

Got home plugged her in and was immeadiately impressed with loading speeds and size(or lack there of) and continued excellent upscaling ability of the HD DVD players. I still think that given time the A1 problems will be a non issue and that oit is better built and will be a modders dream someday but am very happy in the A2 where it sits alongside the PS3.

YMMV, but i am very happy with my local BB.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
they are all full of it. the toshiba is a devo item. wich means they cannot repair it. they have to exchange it no ifs about it. they give you ish next time tell them you want your money back! for the time wasted and go buy it from value electronics for cheaper

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Did you have any audio sync issues with the A1 and if you did (like I did), are they there on the A2?

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv /forum/post/0

they are all full of it. the toshiba is a devo item. wich means they cannot repair it. they have to exchange it no ifs about it. they give you ish next time tell them you want your money back! for the time wasted and go buy it from value electronics for cheaper

lol, too true. my manager would always do that to, make it sound like he was doing someone a favor when he had to do it anyway b/c it was devo. ahh, BB, its both funny and creepy how similar each store is and each manager is. shows the impact "store culture" can have on a workforce.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv /forum/post/0

never noticed any `ish' in BB before...new item?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have one more week to exchange my open box "read inexpensive" A1 for a new A2. I have only had a few skipping issues 3-4 times in 10 discs mostly with Ray from NetFlix. If I exchange I can get a few free HDDVD's but loose my Analog's. Has anyone who exchanged found it did or didn't help any?, Specifically and does it help the skipping loosing audio issues?

-Craig

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air /forum/post/0

I have one more week to exchange my open box "read inexpensive" A1 for a new A2. I have only had a few skipping issues 3-4 times in 10 discs mostly with Ray from NetFlix. If I exchange I can get a few free HDDVD's but loose my Analog's. Has anyone who exchanged found it did or didn't help any?, Specifically and does it help the skipping loosing audio issues?

-Craig

I have an A-2 and XA-1 at home. From my impressions so far, the A-2 doesn't have any audio sych issues and is overall a much easier player to deal with. My wife has no problems using it and she and her friends can use it to watch HD DVD

After some critical analysis by me
I'd say the analog over the XA-1 sound better to me than the toslink from the A-2. I also prefer the upconversion of the XA-1. The A-2 seems to be a little more colorful and a little less detail in dark areas than the XA-1. I tried both first on a 50 inch 1080p plasma and then on a 46 inch 1080p LCD.

The XA-1 does have the rare audio sych and audio drop outs. It does not bother me, but it does bother my wife. However, she too agrees that the XA-1 puts out a slightly better PQ and AQ. However, this is all unscientific....just based on our viewing. We use the XA-1 in the bedroom and the A-2 in the living room. I'd like to get the XA-2 or a really good dual format player.....the XA-2 would replace the A-2 rather than the A-2!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

Did you have any audio sync issues with the A1 and if you did (like I did), are they there on the A2?

No i did not have any audio sync issues....and to me the A2 is a far more attractive unit.....I have better blacks on the A2...i am connected hdmi to pioneer 81tx to panny 50px60u.....one thing the A1 has though is gold plated rca's and i like that....on my A2 hd dvd start playing in about 40 seconds or sooner.....5 seconds slower than my PS3 with BD.......dvd's play lightning fast.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.