Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I had my Replay for about a week...I did LOVE it, but just found out that my cable company will be offering dual tuner PVRs on Monday....no charge for the hardware! The service fee is only $6.95/month, so for me, it was a no brainer! I know, I know...I wont have the networking capabilities that you get with Replay, but for the price, how can you go wrong!

Just thought I'd toss that out there...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't forget that network sharing isn't the only feature lacking from those units. The overall functionality of those units is severely lacking compared to ReplayTV (or Tivo for that matter), especially when it comes to scheduling. The only exception are the Tivo-based units that some dish companies have.

From a pure cost perspective, your decision is a logical one, but not one that I think most experienced Replay or Tivo users would make :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If I was digital cable subscriber, I would use the integrated cable box PVR rather than TiVo or ReplayTV. I agree from what I have read that it lacks the sophisticated software of ReplayTV or TiVo but the dual tuners, superior picture quality, faster channel changes, Dolby Digital audio and lower price make it the better choice. If it can reliably record and playback TV programming it is the clear winner in my opinion. Even simple VCR like scheduling will allow timeshifting of TV programming which is why I use these things. I use the DirecTV TiVo for DirecTV and a Showstopper for OTA local channels and I would not switch to digital cable to get this box, but I would certainly prefer it over a standalone PVR and cable box by a long shot.

Chris

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
but the dual tuners, superior picture quality, faster channel changes, Dolby Digital audio and lower price make it the better choice. If it can reliably record and playback TV programming it is the clear winner in my opinion
Ditto that. Plus, once local channels go HD on cable, I suspect we'll see another round of DVRs from the cable companies that offer HD recording. I'll still keep my Replay going, but instead of being the first class citizen it now is in my setup, it will definitley become second class, delegated to recording shows where picture and sound quality don't matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.