AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a *new* TH42PZ77U during boxing week at a smoking deal and finally took delivery last weekend.

Upon setting it up and plugging it in, I notice that the factory settings were jacked to the max +30 picture and +30 brightness (at least I think it was called brightness). I quickly set picture to +16 and brightness to +10, color and tint at -3 and sharpness at 0 on all the modes except cinema which was set to a little lower.

Throughout the week I watched tv, movies and played a fast action game called call of duty 4 (for the connoisseurs).

Friday night, exactly 6 days after my initial purchase, I wrap up a couple of rounds on call of duty and decide to call it a night. I turned my amp, preamp and PS3 off and tv was left for last.

As I get close to the screen I see what looks like haze (tv is still on), I get a little closer (my room is pitch black) and I can see the burned in image of the panasonic menu on the top left. I can also see the ps3 os menu system on the middle of the screen from when I was trying to pair my bluetooth headset and at various other place I'm seeing bits and piece of the game and/or other stuff. I never increased the settings beyond what was described above, if I needed a little extra brightness I found that vivid did a decent job during the daytime.

I swear to god I did not let any imagery sit still longer than a minute or two so what gives with the burned-in images I was seeing?

The next morning (~7 hours later) I woke up to check on my tv and I could still see the images burned into the screen. I promptly returned my tv and told them it was defective and asked for a refund (it hurt considering the deal I got). I've considered an LCD alternative but the problem is that their picture quality leaves a lot to be desired.

So now I'm considering going with a Pionner PDP-5010FD but I'm afraid of getting the same issue. Other than that my only alternative would be to wait to see if LCD improve to my liking next year.

Can anybody set me straight, did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your way to paranoid....that is normal on a plasma to see the icons for a little bit on the screen after you play games and stuff...you have to watch some tv after to make it go away. If you played games a few hours then shut the tv right off, you will still see the "image retention" in the morning. Just watch an hour of tv after and it will clear up right away. This "image retention" will be less and less the more you use your tv, after 500 hours you can barely even see it up close anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
^^^^^ He is right.. You had IR or Image Retention and it was nothing at all to worry about.

Did you do something wrong? I guess if you can't get the "smoking deal" again perhaps. There are a million threads about this here. I would read up on some then purchase your new Plasma.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12889517

I bought a *new* TH42PZ77U during boxing week at a smoking deal and finally took delivery last weekend.

Upon setting it up and plugging it in, I notice that the factory settings were jacked to the max +30 picture and +30 brightness (at least I think it was called brightness). I quickly set picture to +16 and brightness to +10, color and tint at -3 and sharpness at 0 on all the modes except cinema which was set to a little lower.

Throughout the week I watched tv, movies and played a fast action game called call of duty 4 (for the connoisseurs).

Friday night, exactly 6 days after my initial purchase, I wrap up a couple of rounds on call of duty and decide to call it a night. I turned my amp, preamp and PS3 off and tv was left for last.

As I get close to the screen I see what looks like haze (tv is still on), I get a little closer (my room is pitch black) and I can see the burned in image of the panasonic menu on the top left. I can also see the ps3 os menu system on the middle of the screen from when I was trying to pair my bluetooth headset and at various other place I'm seeing bits and piece of the game and/or other stuff. I never increased the settings beyond what was described above, if I needed a little extra brightness I found that vivid did a decent job during the daytime.

I swear to god I did not let any imagery sit still longer than a minute or two so what gives with the burned-in images I was seeing?

The next morning (~7 hours later) I woke up to check on my tv and I could still see the images burned into the screen. I promptly returned my tv and told them it was defective and asked for a refund (it hurt considering the deal I got). I've considered an LCD alternative but the problem is that their picture quality leaves a lot to be desired.

So now I'm considering going with a Pionner PDP-5010FD but I'm afraid of getting the same issue. Other than that my only alternative would be to wait to see if LCD improve to my liking next year.

Can anybody set me straight, did I do something wrong?

Yeah you did several things wrong

1. You didn't educate yourself on the aspects of plasma ownership.

2. You didn't read the billions of posts on the plasma forum about burn-in or temporary image retention.

3. You didn't ask anybody here on the plasma forum for advice or knowledge about your situation.

4. You gamed on your plasma without first breaking it in.

5. You turned the TV off right after seeing the "burn-in" (which is actually just temporary IR) instead of letting it run with full screen TV or DVD content to wipe away the temporary IR, and expected it to be gone when you woke up the next morning.

6. You returned a perfectly good TV for no good reason.

7. Go and get it back

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel humbled :)

Good news is that through price-matching I can get the panny TV at the same price as I did originally.

I guess some good came out this experience though.

1) My ass got educated

2) I can consider buying the Kuro

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah, I guess you already know you returned the tv for no reason...but I have to ask: If you can afford the 50" Pioneer why on earth did you even consider the Panasonic?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12890254

I feel humbled :)

While it is a good idea to read the owner's manual which has many warnings regarding the risk of temporary/permanent image retention associated with the prolonged use of static images and/or black bars; you should not feel "humbled" by anyone in this community.

Other than the geeks, myself included, who spend way-too-much-time in this Forum; most "normal" people just want to watch TV and have no desire to learn about every arcane technical nuance of some display technology.

If you decide to buy another PDP try to refrain from gaming on it for the first few hundred hours or consider LCD as an alternative for your home theater.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im glad ive just read this because Ive just experienced the same problem and I thought my partner was going to kill me for leaving final fantasy images on the Tv. phew. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys just an update, I went with the 50" Kuro :)

Quick question though, my monthly rent includes electricity usage so I was thinking of leaving my TV on while I am away at work to help speed up the break-in period (I know it's not exactly environmentally conscious of me)

Which of the methods would be the best way to perform "break in"

1) Play regular TV (or DVD on loop)

2) Disconnect cable from TV and leave TV on with the snow pattern playing

·
Registered
216 Posts
george_s,

The ideal break-in source would be the break-in dvd, which can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858851

Check the link in the first thread. And remember, that if you are breaking in the tv, use the settings in the first thread (in red). Also remember to have your panel displaying the entire image, and not in 4:3 or the like. There are probably a lot more practical tips as well, but I'm very new to the game as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
george_s, enjoy your new Kuro! I personally wouldn't bother with breakin. Just be mindful when displaying static images too long, although the Kuros have nearly zero IR from owning a 5010.

Although if you need a break in dvd, here it is http://www.eaprogramming.com/ .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts