AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I returned my 42 inch Pioneer to costco. I purchased this TV in early 06 got $2399. Today, almost 3 years later, they gave me all my money back. So I will be picking up the Panny TH-C50FD18 tomorrow. As a note, all the low priced sets all over town and they are all sold out. Best news is I will trade one TV for 2 or 3 depending on the sizes for the other rooms. This will be nice.

· Registered
126 Posts
You represent the reason for Costco's revised return policy.

"Happy Holidays" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Perkins /forum/post/15410558

Today, I returned my 42 inch Pioneer to costco. I purchased this TV in early 06 got $2399. Today, almost 3 years later, they gave me all my money back. So I will be picking up the Panny TH-C50FD18 tomorrow. As a note, all the low priced sets all over town and they are all sold out. Best news is I will trade one TV for 2 or 3 depending on the sizes for the other rooms. This will be nice.

· Registered
390 Posts
I've never been to church, but whenever I'm given too much change by a business I always give it back -- just in case it turns out there's a judgment day and it turns out petty theft is the equivalent of selling your soul for a few dollars.

· Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Perkins /forum/post/15410558

Why did you even post this? You'd think after browsing this site for almost 8 years you might realize people frown this. Honestly just thinking about people doing things like this turns my stomach, even if there was something wrong with your set no business owes you a new TV after 3 years. If there's a reason companies don't accept retailer returns anymore it's because of BS like this.

· Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. /forum/post/15410894

Why did you even post this? You'd think after browsing this site for almost 8 years you might realize people frown this. Honestly just thinking about people doing things like this turns my stomach, even if there was something wrong with your set no business owes you a new TV after 3 years. If there's a reason companies don't accept retailer returns anymore it's because of BS like this.

Exactly. It comes down to right and wrong, and returning a plasma three years later for the latest model is just wrong. I'm glad you can sleep after pulling that, I know I sure couldn't.

· Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzzub /forum/post/15410619

You represent the reason for Costco's revised return policy.

"Happy Holidays" to you.

Agreed.

It baffles me that anyone has the guts to take something back for a refund after three years. That's just completely ridiculous.

· Registered
422 Posts
I am amazed that someone would be proud of such a practice and post this here. If the set has a problem that needs replacement, I would understand returning it. If not, it is just taking advantage of a policy that Costco finally changed not long ago.

My best friend's wife work at Costco and she tells me amazing stories of people returning everything. They have there a complete backlog of all returns and transactions for every member. She could tell people who return the same product several times after year after year for no reason at all.

I guess for some folks, being dishonest and taking advantage of others doesn't bother their sleep. Go figure.

· Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my defense, the TV had lost quite a bit of brightness and was experiencing excessive burn in issues. They did not question my motives.

The reason for posting this was to show just how great Costco is. Every TV, ipod, washer, dryer, most small appliances, most computers, tires, etc. we own have been purchased at Costco. Costco is a class act. We spend a small fortune @ Costco every year and this year was the first time we did not get over $400 in cash back from our membership. This is one of the few items I have returned. Honestly, I did not expect them to take it back. The wife did not expect them to allow the return after three years. There was numerous discussions on whether to retire the tv to a bedroom or try to return it. There was no questions when it was returned. They just credited my American Express and then apologized for taking so long. I am thrilled to be replacing one 42 incher with a 50 and quite possibly 2 37's.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
It's a Costco policy. I wouldn't blame someone for taking advantage of a policy that is part of a membership program. It's up to the company to decide if the return is acceptable. Sheesh!

· Registered
452 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. This is pretty bad. It's indicative of a larger "all about me" parasitic/entitlement mentality that's rampant in our country. Any 'normal' person would have checked to see if it was out of warranty, assessed finances, relegated it to another room, and bought a new TV. If finances didn't permit, they would just sit on the TV until situations changed. Instead, you have simply increased losses to a company that is probably taking a beating right now along w/ the rest.....After all, it's all about you, right?

· Registered
763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman /forum/post/15410853

I've never been to church, but whenever I'm given too much change by a business I always give it back -- just in case it turns out there's a judgment day and it turns out petty theft is the equivalent of selling your soul for a few dollars.

Petty Theft? Seriously? Im more ashamed of this way of thinking than someone taking advantage of a company's return policy.

· Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog1 /forum/post/15412189

I have to agree with everyone else. This is pretty bad. It's indicative of a larger "all about me" parasitic/entitlement mentality that's rampant in our country. Any 'normal' person would have checked to see if it was out of warranty, assessed finances, relegated it to another room, and bought a new TV. If finances didn't permit, they would just sit on the TV until situations changed. Instead, you have simply increased losses to a company that is probably taking a beating right now along w/ the rest.....After all, it's all about you, right?

This thread illustrates the difference between being legal and being ethical. It might be legal to return that TV, but I don't think it is ethical.

· Registered
8,754 Posts
This is ridiculous. Did the guy lie to Costco about his set? No. Did he rip them off? No. All he did was ask if he could return it and they said yes. It was within their policy (which was stupid to begin with and hence why they clearly noticed it and have changed it since), so what did he do wrong?

If someone came to anyone on this thread and said "hey, you can return the set you bought, get all your money back and apply it to a brand new set of your choice" who wouldn't do it?

Now, if he lied to them about something and claimed something wasn't working right that he broke, then yes, that would be unethical. This on the other hand isn't. It's not like he's taking advantage of some small one off little retailor.

· Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not lie.

Here is the return policy:

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund."

Now, this does not say, within a year, if it is broken, or if i wore it out, etc. I couldn't return it.

If I was not satisfied I could return it as long as I had not damaged it. Without reason.

I know of no other retailer that does this. That is why I returned the TV.

Now, subsequently to my purchase of this tv they changed their policy. My purchase was grandfathered in. (You know, it didn't have to be, that was a COSTCO decision).

If COSTO didn't want to refund the money, if they couldn't afford it, why did they do the refund? If they had told me sorry, I would have kept it. They didn't.

So if at lets say 89 days you return a tv on a return on 90 day policy, is that unethical? What if the limit was 110 days, what if the limit was a year, or five years, or forever? What is the difference? Time.

What if your kid poured Kool-Aid in the remote and you returned it because the remote quit working within 90 days of a 90 day return policy? In my book, that is unethical, you damaged it.

Have you ever tried to return something to WalMart or some big department store that was a gift that you don't know where it came from? Would that be ethical? (My family doesn't do this either.)

In the end, what matters here is the decisions Costco made. IT IS PART OF THEIR BUSINESS MODEL. It is not part of the business model at Best Buy, WalMart, Sears, etc. When you deal with a company part of what you are buying is the way they run their business.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
So, you were or you weren't satisfied with the set???

You were satisfied with the set, just not the price you paid relative to the prices available today.

You did lie, you just can't see it for all the rationilizations going on here.

· Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/15412364

It's not like he's taking advantage of some small one off little retailor.

So the size of the retailer is relevant to this discussion.....I guess it's alright to rip off big corporations.....Some people can excuse anything.

Rationalize much? Situational ethics, gotta love it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.