AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some discussion on this forum, I returned my Bose VCS-10, which I was previously trying to use as my center speaker with my Denon 1908.

My problem with the Bose was heavy sound, Not too crisp and very suppressed sound output. I would still miss the sleek silver design !!!

Now obviously, I want something better. I am building a custom system so I should be able to blow off any HTIB systems out there. I just love (and want) crisp sound and am not a big fan of bass, I can use a sub-which can cater for the low range sounds. My main usage is movies, so I would like the dialogues to be crystal clear and the sound to be "LIVE". I currently do not have any fronts and maybe a combo would be a good way to go but the center is most important for me. I'll think about the fronts later on.

So guys, can you recommend me something not good but great (super). It may not be possible to audition all the speakers (specially the ones from Internet Direct Companies) so I'll be relying on your experiences.

Thanks,

Osman

· Banned
8,744 Posts
The center speaker should be determined by your left/right fronts. In home theater speaker systems, they usually come in a set where all the speakers are designed to match in sound as well as appearance. Be aware that once you purchase your center, it sets the path for which front left/rights should be purchased next, at least if you want your system to sound non-schizophrenic.

Without a budget, size restrictions, a description of your listening environment, or what kind of goal you want to achieve at the end result of this sound system in terms of what kind of sound you want to hear, it's difficult to make a recommendation.

With that in mind, I'll just throw some center suggestions out there. Any of these will be dramatically better than the Bose.

Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - MTM , $195. If you buy those with fronts from Elemental Designs, you get a 15% discount on the whole package. Use their Home Theater Package Builder to see what kind of systems you can set up.

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE CENTER
, $298. You get a small discount if you buy it with along with other speakers from them, check out their package builder .

HSU Research HC-1 , $239. There is also a sale going on right now for the fronts and center, $505 for everything. These are what I have, and they have impressed everyone who has heard them.

SVS SCS-01 , $175. There is also a discount for a front three package for $489.

Aperion Audio Intimus 5C ($350) or 6C ($590).

Outlaw Audio LCR , $649.

Axiom VP150 v2 ($408) or VP100 v2 , ($255).

If you are on a tighter budget, check out center channel offerings from The Speaker Company . Prices there range from $50 to $99, and the shipping is free. If you are on a looser budget, get a Seaton Catalyst , $3,495.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but like shadyJ said, we need to know your budget.

Also one thing to note, if all you have is a center channel speaker and not front speakers, you will be missing out on a whole hell of a lot of sound and environmental effects that are key to any movie.

So once you tell us your budget, at minimum, we can help you by advising a good LCR setup.

· Registered
125 Posts
Just finished this process myself. Learned several things that I really did not know. First figure your budget (total amount). no brainer eh?

Now some things that I learned and truly believe.

First I thought that Bigger would be better. Nope. I heard some fantastic small speakers. Don't rule out a speaker because of it's size.

Second, if it is good for music, it's good for movies. Pick the fronts for music in 2 channel. I think few would strongly argue this.

Three, consider a 2.1 or 3.1 system. IMO the rears really contribute little to the experience. the fronts and sub really carry the day for movies. Spend the extra cash on your other stuff. Easy to go back later and fit rears. If you want rears now go real cheap. I just had my center fail and I'm using a non-matched center with my fronts. never even notice the difference. I'd be tempted to go cheap on the center and not sweat the timbre matching too much.

Four. Don't forget the other crap (stands?, cables, ??) adds up. rude surprise.

Five. Pick several samples of music you like and listen to everything you possible can. Take notes and pay attention to the electronics. I think if you like a set of speakers different electronics may color it a bit but not ruin it. Listen, Listen, and then go back and try some more. Pay attention to your music. if it's compressed crap you will not be able to hear the subtle tones from the speakers.

Six, you may be better off with a smaller cheaper receiver and a good quality seperate amp. I would like to hear other opinions on this but theres no reason to toss a good amp when or if you upgrade the receiver for new features or formats. Thoughts anyone?

Seven. Learn a bit about setup from dealers. If you go someplace that is clueless you may want to move their stuff around. I showed the guys in best buy how to position a couple speakers that I was listening to and while I passed, a lady standing in the corner listening to us loved them/ bought them, and asked for advice on placement from me. BB employee took notes! Don't assume they have the setup perfect.

Eight. Ignore most reviews. nice if they are experienced and detail the characteristics. Most are crap. Ignore all reviews on amazon, bestbuy, and the like. Too many folks out there want you to help them feel better about their purchases.

guess that $0.16 worth. Hope it's worth that!

have fun. this should be a fun process.

paul

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestions guys.

My current budget is around - $400 MAX; I can either buy a center from this budget or all three front speakers from this money.

My room size is about 17 feet Wide (TV Side) and 30 feet in Length. Ceiling at 10 Feet. Brick Walls, Carpeted Floors.

I already have the Denon 1908 and a pair of Bose 161, that I have temporarily hooked up as my fronts. I'll be later placing them as my surrounds and may probably add a similar set as my rear to complete my 7.1 setup. I would also like to add a separate Sub-Woofer in a couple of months.

I am just crazy about getting the most "CRISP" sound. Not a very big enthusiast of bass. Also, the smaller the better, I wish Bose speakers sounded as good as the look

I look forward to your valuable suggestions with this scenario.

· Banned
8,744 Posts
Check out the links in my above post. Those are all internet direct companies, and they all have multiple offerings at your price point, and they are all an excellent value. Look at the speakers they have, perhaps you will want to make a list. Read reviews of those speakers, or come back here and ask how they would differ from each other; they all have their respective strengths. Almost all of them can be auditioned in your home for at least 30 days, and be returned for a full refund, so, if you wanted, you could try them all out. Some of those companies will even pay for shipping both ways if you don't like their speakers.

By the way, anyone who isn't a bass enthusiast just hasn't heard great bass yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.