AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm extremely happy to be rid of the POS3, I can't say I'm having the best time with the BD10. On the plus, it is 10 times easier to setup, it has an infrared remote(big plus!), it's a typical form factor, and the various codecs it supports and firmware updates are also great.


However, this BD player also exhibits the same hissing through my speakers which none of my other components exhibit(Toshiba HD-A1, HTPC, Directivo HR10-250). But this thread isn't about the hissing, it's about my inability to select 1080p... My BD10 is hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 84TSXi via HDMI, which supports 1080p(my POS3 sent it just fine), then to an HDMI splitter/repeater which also supports 1080p (one cable goes to my pearl, the other to my SXRD XBR1) , onto my Sony Pearl which also supports 1080p. I am running FW 1.4, upgraded it just an hour ago. However, in my settings, 1080p is still greyed out, and I have no idea why.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.


TIA,


Chip-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0


The XBR1 is only 1080i, right? Try disconnecting that from the splitter.


I have the BD10 running to a Denon 887 and then to a SXRD (1080p) and I have it set to "auto" for hdmi. I would try putting it on auto and seeing what the protector outputs.

Correct the sxrd1 only accepts up to 1080i but it will display pretty much the resolution of 1080p set with this particular TV. Turn Cinemotion to "ON"....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Carguy here's the deal - your TV is 1080p, but it doesn't accept a 1080p signal (if that makes any sense). That's why the 1080p option is greyed out for both your PS3 and Panny. It will take a 1080i signal from those players, and then scale it internally to progressive 1080. But again, the key point is that it will only accept 1080i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA /forum/post/0


Correct the sxrd1 only accepts up to 1080i but it will display pretty much the resolution of 1080p set with this particular TV. Turn Cinemotion to "ON"....


Correct! I have a 20GB PS3 & 50XBR1, the picture is excellant
Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by user7800 /forum/post/0


Sorry but PS3 is no POS.


Agree'd.


No problems here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by user7800 /forum/post/0


Sorry but PS3 is no POS.


I agree.


Neither is the Panasonic, though. Whatever makes you happy. If you want to pay the extra money for an IR port, then I guess that's good for you. Me? I'll take the extra money and buy an upgrade for my subwoofer with it.



And in a few months get DTS HD MA decoding. Let's not forget that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 /forum/post/0


While I'm extremely happy to be rid of the POS3, I can't say I'm having the best time with the BD10. On the plus, it is 10 times easier to setup, it has an infrared remote(big plus!), it's a typical form factor, and the various codecs it supports and firmware updates are also great.


However, this BD player also exhibits the same hissing through my speakers which none of my other components exhibit(Toshiba HD-A1, HTPC, Directivo HR10-250). But this thread isn't about the hissing, it's about my inability to select 1080p... My BD10 is hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 84TSXi via HDMI, which supports 1080p(my POS3 sent it just fine), then to an HDMI splitter/repeater which also supports 1080p (one cable goes to my pearl, the other to my SXRD XBR1) , onto my Sony Pearl which also supports 1080p. I am running FW 1.4, upgraded it just an hour ago. However, in my settings, 1080p is still greyed out, and I have no idea why.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.


TIA,


Chip-

I have the Panasonic Bluray, Pio Elite 84tsxi and Samsung HLS 1080P connected via HDMI and when I go into the panny menu I can select 1080P. My guess is your display is causing a problem. My two cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 /forum/post/0


Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chip, why not try and see which mode looks the best on your Sony Pearl 1080/60/I or 1080/60/P. The Panasonic will not output native 1080/24/P therefore I would select 1080/60/I on the Panasonic and let the Pearl do the IVTC.


Pay close attention to slow pans and look for judder or use the closing credits (assuming they are done in a vertical crawl) and see which mode will produce the smoothest picture.


And for FWIW: I would not call the PS3 a POS. It is a very advanced piece of hardware. You may not like it and that certainly is OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0


Chip, why not try and see which mode looks the best on your Sony Pearl 1080/60/I or 1080/60/P. The Panasonic will not output native 1080/24/P therefore I would select 1080/60/I on the Panasonic and let the Pearl do the IVTC.


Pay close attention to slow pans and look for judder or use the closing credits (assuming they are done in a vertical crawl) and see which mode will produce the smoothest picture.


And for FWIW: I would not call the PS3 a POS. It is a very advanced piece of hardware. You may not like it and that certainly is OK.

It maybe advanced but can't match some of the simple things that most other players can do. Like be controlled with a IR remote. Scale BD movies to 720p. Scale 720p games to 1080i. I don't even consider it HD compliant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The omission of an IR port is what irked me about the PS3. As a player/gaming station, I think it looked much better than the XBox360 w/ HD-DVD add on. However, since I would never use it as a gaming machine, it lacked core features that it REALLY should have had.


Anyway, I unhooked my HDMI splitter from my TV, turned everything back on and 1080p was selectable. Ridiculous. Why is it that even if my TV is off, it still limits me to 1080i? How can it even tell what the TV will accept? This wasn't the case with the PS3 nor the XA2. If this is just a Panny thing, then I'll return it and pick up the Elite or something.


Man I'm getting awfully tired of HDMI.........
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top