AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 5040 2 weeks ago to replace a Showstopper. I really liked the new features, but cannot live with the instability. I have had the previously mentioned problem of the unit skipping and being non responsive in the morning if left buffering live overnight. I also had it lock up twice watching one show when I pressed instant replay while another show was recording. This happened a second time even though I had to reboot it after the first. So far I've had to reboot the 5040 more times in two weeks than my showstopper in a year. I'll probably buy a 5040 again if new software makes it more stable.

If I were to find a 4504 would it have these stability problems?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have 3 4508's. I have not seen any of the problems you are having. I would definitely say that the 45xx series is more stable now than the 5000's. That will change as the 5000's mature. The 4xxx's were quite finicky when they were new (according to what I have read on this forum).

But I am reluctant to recommend 45xx's now because of
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198645

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bkoester
...I'll probably buy a 5040 again if new software makes it more stable.

If I were to find a 4504 would it have these stability problems?
That sounds like a reasonable plan, if you really can't wait for the new software build (we've heard should be any week now.) The 45xx's also have the maintenance reboots (currently) and the 4xxx/5xxx are on very similar software paths... which will supposedly merge in the next month or so. The 45xx doesn't have the apparent buffer crash condition but I'm reasonably certain that's just a software bug which should be corrected. Still you may do better just to return it (while you still can) and try again in a month or two.

BTW I feel the 4xxx were actually more tested and further along (rather stable) by the time they were introduced to the public . With the 5xxx, seems we got them right away and are serving as public beta testers?? 4xxx/45xx took a step backwards in my opinion with the more recent move the activation model (v4.3), but I'm hoping this will all clear up soon, with these new software builds right around the corner. They are certainly *capable* of great stability, and no reboots -- version 4.1.1 on the 4xxx was really like nirvana for a good part the year. Hopefully we will be back to that point soon? And possibly even feature enhancements.

I can see why some might want to sit it out while waiting. But if you look @ the "famed Showstopper" (everyone now raves about) you really have to say they got it right in the end. But it did take some time to perfect. I see no reason why that won't happen again with the 4xxx/5xxx.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Please remember that if you are going to return your 5040 to call SB first and have it "de-activated" so that it isn't still attached to you when the next person buys it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
After reading the thread that empyle linked to, I am wondering what that has to do with 45xx's? It seems to me that the same behavior would happen on any unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.