AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not happy with the 53TW53 due to lack of 720p and computer friendlyness. I jumped the gun and bought it without doing more research.

Now I know I want 720p capable tv for my xbox and I'd prefer a tv that's easily computer friendly.

Also, for some reason I'm hugely into saving energy, don't ask why. Id rather spend $100 now to save $10 on my energy bill - weird. So does LCD really use a lot less energy then rear projection?

First question: I bought my Panasonic 53TW53 at CircuitCity on Jan 4th 2004, will it be a problem returning/exchangine it? Problem is, The box went outside and got trashed by rain, however the TV and everything is in excellent condition, will they charge me for no box, and how much? Next, if I go in tomorrow with a friend with the TV I want instead, and order it, can they pickup my 53TW53 when the deliever the second TV? I'd hate to try and return a 200+lb TV on the back of a truck without a box!

Second and more important question: what tv do I buy? Again 720p and computer friendly is prefered, and I'd like to keep it around 2k unless it's definatly worth the 3k for LCD (looks sweet).

I'm debating over:

Hitachi S500

Hitachi S700

LCD:

Sony 42" Grand Wegaâ„¢ LCD Rear Projection TV

Brand/Model: SON KF42WE610 $2,699

Sony 50" Grand WEGAâ„¢ LCD Rear Projection TV

Brand/Model: SON KF50WE610 $3,099

Hitachi 50" Widescreen LCD HDTV Monitor

Brand/Model: HIT 50V500 $3,099

Panasonic 50" Widescreen LCD HDTV Monitor

Brand/Model: PAN PT50LC13 $3,099

The Hitachi and Pansonic LCD's look sweet with the shelf system going on under them, does that come with the monitor?

Please, opinions welcome as I'm looking at going in tomorrow. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
474 Posts
for returning the TV, did you pay for delivery the first time? If so they would come and get the tv. even if you didn't if you pay for delivery of the new tv i think you could work out something t have them take the old tv. just negotiate it with your sales person.

none of those TVs you listed come with a stand, so you have to include the price of the stand with them. Some of those stands--like the Sony and Hitachi ones are quite expensive.

You need to do some more research on which of these are "pc friendly", IMHO i think none of the TVs out there are computer friendly, they all seem to require quite a bit of tweaking to get an image displayed. To me spending hours with PowerStrip to get a workable display is not friendly, true a lot of work has been done here, but it's still a lot of time invested to get it to work.

The Hitachi V500 seems to be the best suited from the posts i've seen here.

Just so you now the S500 and S700 do 540P and 1080i, i'm not sure what it will do if you feed it a 720P signal. At the best it would upscale it to 1080i, but you need to check that, some TVs that do not support 720P will not even accept the signal.

Actually I'm not sure what the other displays will do when you feed it a 720P signal. I thought there were only a handful of 720P friendly displays.

On a related note, which XBOX games are you trying to play? I was under the impression there were only a handful of games that truly supported 720P.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True Crimes looks insane on my friends $1500 CRT 720p TV.

I mentioned the Hitachi S500 and S700 because someone on this forum recommended them to me for my requirements.

I don't mind spending hours on PowerStrip, I just meant are capable of a good computer signal.

Also, I'm sure the Panasonic LCD is capable of 720p, not sure of the others.

But if the Hitachi and Panasonic LCD don't come with that stand, it sure makes the much cheaper CRT's look more appealing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just bought the Hitachi V500 after extensive research. It does 720p native. It can do computer gaming - see the very long and now closed original Hitachi thread. I don't do that myself, but there were enough posts to point you in the right direction. It does not come with the stand. There were a bunch of posts from people who said they didn't like the stand - it was "cheap" to use their words. YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading so many threads on this forum, it seems that CRT is the best bang for your buck except when it comes to Computers.

Right now I'm leaning towards CRTs if I can find one that displays 720p natively and looks good, would Hitachi S500 fall into that category?

LCDs look alright for the awesome resolution, but the thought of changing a bulb and color degrading sounds pretty ******. How much are the bulbs, and do they really degrade over time?

CRT seems right for me, but which set? Looking for 50-60" and 720p native.

·
Registered
474 Posts
well which tv does your friend have?

i can go ahead and rule out the mitsubishi crt rptvs, they will not accept a 720P signal form an external source.

good luck trying to find a reasonably priced crt rptv that supports 720P native. i know the hitachi's will not, at best it will convert to 540P or 1080i, a hitachi owner can confirm that for you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bulbs in LCD and DLP sets typically run around $200. A bulb should be good for several years at least. They do lose brightness over time and so replacement before actual failure is usually desirable. The cost of a bulb is far less than the extra cost of a non-projection 720p set like plasma or direct view LCD.

Do LCD panels degrade? I've not read enough evidence on this forum to convince me one way or the other. LCD RP sets haven't been sold in volume for long enough to know how long they last. Texas Instruments did publish a study comparing LCD and DLP front projectors -- the study indicated that the LCD panels degraded significantly -- of course TI makes DLP. And the panel performance in a small FP enclosure doesn't necessarily predict what will happen in a large, (hopefully) well ventilated RP housing. If this is a concern, an extended warranty might be worth considering.

I'm a GWII owner myself, but if you are sure that DLP doesn't bother any of your viewers (see many "rainbow" threads for details), I suggest looking that way. They do have bulb, but the DLP chip isn't going t degrade.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I go with a CRT Hitachi. It won't display 720p natively, but it definently will upconvert it to 1080i and your XBOX will still look good on it.

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, CRT screens have a much better picture quality all around over LCDs and DLPs as long as you keep them converged. The contrast levels and quicker response time give it that edge.

Besides if you get a CRT now, then wait 4-5 years and buy a DLP, you'll be about at the same price as a DLP now but with two TVs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trixslice
Right now I'm leaning towards CRTs if I can find one that displays 720p natively and looks good, would Hitachi S500 fall into that category?
Natively? No...it will convert it to 540p or 1080i, your choice.

Check at your CC, you may be able to get the S700 with built-in HD tuner for about $50 more than the S500.

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.