AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm returning my second Harman Kardon AVR 630. See this thread for details regarding the uncurable hum/hiss problem I was experiencing.

I need to find a replacement AVR. I really had my heart set on the HK AVR 630, but unfortunately, it was not meant to be.

I got the AVR 630 through OneCall.com. For an online retailer, they've been pretty good, but at this point, I'm not sure I'm willing to buy online. Return shipping is a killer and takes forever. I want to go to my local shop, buy the AVR, take it home, test it, and return it (if necessary) all in the same day.

Because I will be buying locally, I will likely pay a 20% premium to online prices. I hate to pay the premium, but I'm fed up with the hassle of buying online. With this in mind, I may drop down one step in the respective manufacturers' model lines to stay close to a $700 price-point.

IMO, my best options for a replacement unit are the following:
  • Yamaha 1400 (or perhaps 2400)
  • Denon 2803 (perhaps 3803)

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha right now, but want to hear opinions and other options if I'm overlooking another worthy contender.

I'm really going to miss the triple/quadruple bass management crossover settings on the HK 630. I'll also miss the option of having the receiver do bass management on the 7.1 analog inputs. Hopefully I'll get by and other features (such as Yamaha's YPAO) will help overcome the lack of bass management options.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Between the 1400 and 3803 (I've had both in my system) I'd go with the 1400. I preferred it for music, and YPAO is a great feature.

Since you are buying locally you should be able to buy both to try them in your home. That is what I did. It is the only way to really tell which is best for you. Also, doing an in-home demo will let you experience what YPAO can do in your room.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
55TXi if you want to ask me ;) Though 1400 would be good too, but without USB and i-link ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked up a Pioneer Elite 53TX on the way home from work yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to set it up yet, but the annoying buzz that I get with the HK 630 is not present. I still have some noticable hiss, but I think this is probably just the noise floor of the unit, and will likely not be noticable when listening to a source.

I think I'll probably end up keeping the 53TX, unless I discover something in the next few days. I may still want to try a yamaha just for comparison's sake, but I'm not sure my wife will tolerate it....

I definitely miss a couple of things the HK 630 has, like quad crossover settings, Logic 7 surround (which I prefer to DPLII), and HDCD decoding, but overall I think I'll like the 53TX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.