AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy for returning my Samsung LN46A750 for a Panasonic TH-46PZ80U???

I've had my Samsung for about a month and while it is a great set, the 120hz just doesn't seem to make up for blurring and catch the fast paced sports, etc. that I love to watch?

The other factor of course if price...$1700 vs. $999 right now at Best Buy.

Let me know what you think since I have a new Panasonic ready to go if I decide to take back my Samsung. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I don't think you're crazy but who knows if you'll actually prefer the Panasonic. The black levels won't be quite as good as the 750, the color is less accurate and it won't be as bright. The panasonic will have superior motion and way better viewing angles. It may also look a little more natural.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHMSTRC /forum/post/15512390

I've had my Samsung for about a month and while it is a great set, the 120hz just doesn't seem to make up for blurring and catch the fast paced sports, etc. that I love to watch?

The other factor of course if price...$1700 vs. $999 right now at Best Buy.

Let me know what you think since I have a new Panasonic ready to go if I decide to take back my Samsung. Thanks.

While I would have said the plasma is better a year or more ago, these newer LCDs are better and impressive. I'd really consider carefully before making that switch. That said I still prefer plasmas but I could just as easily see getting a Samsung or Sony LCD.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you watch a lot of sports and the LCD motion blur really bugs you I would make the move to plasma.

If you can take some time and go to a store that will let you do some real comparison viewing between LCD and plasma displays if the store is worth a d*** they should be able to dial up some live action on the weekend.

I think that's the best way to decide.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHMSTRC /forum/post/15512390

Yes, you should return it for the larger and superior 50pz80u and still have change left over.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The Samsungs blacks are only better during the day. At night, I would have to say it is a wash. In fact, I would take the uniformity of the Panny over the Sammy any day. Can't stand blotching/flashlighting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love good picture quality more than anything, and while the Samsung is great in that category, I can't get over the motion blur. The Automotion setting is very fake to me, and even at 120hz, just can't seem to catch all the things I want.

Hopefully picking up the Panasonic today to take a look at before returning the Samsung. Thanks for the input everybody.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Make sure to take a look at both 50" Panasonic models if you set-up allows the larger screen size. Both the 50PZ80 and 50PZ85 are well under your price point. Just have BB match another B&M store that sells tools.
They have good pricing right now on the Pannys.

I just got a Panny 50PZ85U and am loving it!

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually just looked around at the 50" prices as well, wondering if the extra 4" is worth the $400 extra it would costs....either way leaning towards the Panasonic at this point, of course I still need to check them out in the store.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHMSTRC /forum/post/15516694

Actually just looked around at the 50" prices as well, wondering if the extra 4" is worth the $400 extra it would costs....either way leaning towards the Panasonic at this point, of course I still need to check them out in the store.

That is totally up to you. That is a fantastic price for the 46" model, but I do not think anyone ever regretted getted a larger TV.

Mask out both TV sizes on your wall with painters tape to see the actual difference in size between the 46" and the 50". Yes, it is only 4" diagonally, but it is a much larger total viewing area difference. I wish I would have been able to get a 58" versus my 50" display, but then I would had to step up another model tier to get an PZ800U versus my PZ85U.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHMSTRC /forum/post/15516694

It's $1288 at 6ave free shipping no tax. You are going to pay close to $1100 for the 46" at Best Buy with tax so this is a good deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts