AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dated July 2008:

https://www.ntiadtv.gov/download/newsletter.cfm

"The TV Converter Box Coupon Program now offers a Returns process to handle returns of Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes (CECBs)."

"Retailers participating in the Program have 30 days to agree to the Returns terms displayed at their accounts"

Agree to their arm-bending tactics or loose ability to sell boxes while redeeming coupons ?!

"Retailers who haven't agreed to the terms by the Aug. 15, 2008, deadline will be deactivated and no longer will be able to accept and redeem coupons for CECBs."

More arm twisting, existing dealers not agreeing with new terms will vanish ?!

"The coupon redemption amount from returned boxes on which Coupons were redeemed is sent back to the U.S. Treasury and credited to the Coupon Program, ensuring that unused Program funds are available for reuse."

"The returns amount is deducted from the retailer's next payment due for processed coupons. If the coupon payment is less than the amount of the returns, retailers don't receive payment until the remaining coupon amount exceeds the returns amount."

Sheesh ....

While it does free us up to use a nearby person's address to get a replacement set of coupons because the funds will be recycled,

Why we can't use the money ALREADY ALLOTED TO US BY DUE PROCESS to go to another store and buy what we wanted in the first place after we were forced in an UNIMFORMED manner to enter into a 90-day (minus USPS transit time) agreement which forced us to buy the only crap that was available at the time!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other tidbits to know in case your waiting until the last day to use these:

"When it comes to coupon redemption, the important time to remember is Midnight, Eastern Time. All coupons expire at that time, with the emphasis on Eastern. No matter where your store is located, be aware that the coupon no longer will be valid on its expiration date once the clock strikes Midnight in the Eastern time zone."

"If you try to redeem a consumer's $40 coupon and get a denial at the time of purchase, the natural inclination is to try again. But be aware: after 4 failed attempts to redeem a coupon the same day, the coupon becomes invalid for that day. This can cause a problem if the coupon expires that day."

From Other Pages:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6579770.html

"Stations in the Wilmington, N.C. , market are shutting off their analog early -- Sept. 8 -- to help the FCC gauge the impact of the switch to digital"

·
Banned
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14340867

The coupon redemption amount from returned boxes on which Coupons were redeemed is sent back to the U.S. Treasury and credited to the Coupon Program, ensuring that unused Program funds are available for reuse."

Well..... that's better than the old system:

- Return box to Circuit City (or whomever).

- Get $23 credited back to Visa card.

- Circuit City gets to keep the 40 dollars paid to them by the U.S. Government.

Yep the new rule is definitely an improvement, as the money goes back to the Taxpayer's Congressional Treasury instead of acting like corporate welfare to Circuit City (or whomever).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm sure one of the reasons they'd rather have you get a neighbor to order coupons is their 10% cut. They get admin money if they process 2 coupons in a "new" household, and they get nothing to fix their earlier mistakes. And that gives them the chance to take over even more money if half of those coupons go unredeemed.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14340867

"The coupon redemption amount from returned boxes on which Coupons were redeemed is sent back to the U.S. Treasury and credited to the Coupon Program, ensuring that unused Program funds are available for reuse."

"The returns amount is deducted from the retailer's next payment due for processed coupons. If the coupon payment is less than the amount of the returns, retailers don't receive payment until the remaining coupon amount exceeds the returns amount."

Why would any retailer tell the gov't they got a CECB return and not just pocket the money?

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
You are telling me that if you return the box, the retailer keeps the $40?

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14360144

You are telling me that if you return the box, the retailer keeps the $40?

That was the original procedure. The store had its own policy and could if it wanted allow an exchange for another of the same or different CECB. But if you wanted to get a refund of the over $40 amount the store would keep the $40 from the government coupon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat /forum/post/14342099

They get admin money if they process 2 coupons in a "new" household, and they get nothing to fix their earlier mistakes....

That is simply diabolical...LOL

But it none the less is a good point, would you work if you weren't getting paid to do that particular task either, especialy if it was to fix a screw-up?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought a DTVPal from sears today and get this: if you buy a CECB from them, dont expect to get any money back if you arent satisfied. It's annoying enough to not get your coupon back (not getting $40 as cash or something is just common sense)...but it's outrageous for them to not even give you your out of pocket costs back if you dont want it.

What's worse, not only did they charge me tax on the full amount of the DTVPal, they wouldnt let you pay directly with a Credit Card or Debit Card...instead making you buy a Sears gift card. I have a feeling this is a clever ploy on Sears' part, as charges can be disputed on Credit Cards...but with a sears gift card you're out of luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser /forum/post/14371332

I bought a DTVPal from sears today and get this: if you buy a CECB from them, dont expect to get any money back if you arent satisfied. It's annoying enough to not get your coupon back (not getting $40 as cash or something is just common sense)...but it's outrageous for them to not even give you your out of pocket costs back if you dont want it.

What's worse, not only did they charge me tax on the full amount of the DTVPal, they wouldnt let you pay directly with a Credit Card or Debit Card...instead making you buy a Sears gift card. I have a feeling this is a clever ploy on Sears' part, as charges can be disputed on Credit Cards...but with a sears gift card you're out of luck.

Stores are allowed to set their own policy for CECB.

I suspect that their motive is to prevent people from buying the product for a trial run/sampling and returning it. I think that is frequent for electronics especially less expensive in cost. I would think it would be super frequent with CECBs, even though there are fewer on the market then I would have expected there is still a choice, people are buying for look and feel of a box they will live with for years.

Also could be indication of Sears needing to run a tighter operation. They maybe need to avoid the higher costs of lots of returns.

The behavior of commerce has sure changed.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Having worked in retail in a depressed area it's not uncommon for folks to try to return items for cash without receipts, or outside the return period just to raise enough cash to buy groceries or beer. I've had folks try to return stuff we haven't stocked in over a year, claiming to have bought it the week before but lost the receipt. Some of this stuff looks like it's been run over by a car. These items are usually relatively cheap off-brand boom boxes and $25 dvd players.

Even obviously affluent customers are not above trying this scam, usually with larger items like large flat panel tvs and usually shortly after the super bowl. Digital cameras and camcorders experience a large sales spike just before the May/June wedding-graduation season and a similar large return spike in July.

This is why the 15% restocking fees were instituted at Sears and some other stores. Even this fee is a reasonable amount for "renting" a $500 camcorder for a month. Returned items are almost always missing remotes or other necessary ancillaries. They must be sold as open-box usually at discounts much more than the 15% restocking fee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts