AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some general opinions here. Currently I have a first generation Apple TV that I use to stream video from my FreeNAS server. It works fine and meets my needs, but I'm wondering if I can retask an old 2Ghz Athlon XP to do the same, plus stream Netflix or Hulu. If so what OS would suit my needs?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Doubtful. Maybe if you paired it with a really good discreet video card, but unless I am mistaken the Althon XP series doesn't support PCI Express, meaning you are even worse off in the video card department than you are processor. I am pretty sure they aren't making modern, or even two-three generations back, AGP video cards

The sad fact is a $200 Atom/ION system would outperform your Althon XP system in every way and even that's not quite good enough for modern content/streams.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb7 /forum/post/19530269

Looking for some general opinions here. Currently I have a first generation Apple TV that I use to stream video from my FreeNAS server. It works fine and meets my needs, but I'm wondering if I can retask an old 2Ghz Athlon XP to do the same, plus stream Netflix or Hulu. If so what OS would suit my needs?

I used an Athlon 2600+ with a 4650 AGP with reasonable results. The Sparkle 8400GS PCI is even cheaper and very effective; I got Blu-ray playback with an old Dell Dimension 2350 (2Ghz Celeron).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, but Flash with that CPU? I have serious doubts. Plus you'll have to go with Vista or Win7 to get tear-free playback and proper video acceleration and that's not usually a good combo with old hardware.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you are like most of us that PC graveyard is in your basement cuz you never know when you might need an Athlon XP system or parts......or a PII cpu etc

BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.