AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get fundamentals right, please bear with me.

Which instrument actually does the decoding, DVD player or the A/V receiver?

What I am getting at is: does it make any difference when the DVD player has a 5.1 output and it is connected to a a/v receiver with 6.1 channels?

Is it double-dipping and waste of the DVD 5.1 feature?

(the DVD player also plays CDs and Audio DVDs)

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That is indeed a very good question.

I just bought a Pioneer Elite EX-500 slim AV receiver that's packaged with a seperate DVD player.

The manual indicates to connect *both* a digital coax feed and the 5.1 audio output of the DVD to the receiver. The receiver has it's own built in 6.1ch decoder and dsp stuff.

The manual indicates that some discs will not allow digital output from the DVD player, only 5.1 analog. I don't know if this means SACD or DVD-A or what. That's the first I ever heard of that.

FWIW, I've always connected the digital audio output only from the DVD before. I'd not have spent any extra for a DVD player with 5.1 output since I'm going digital.

Beats the heck out of me.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It is really a one or the other. If you are using the digital connection (Co-ax or optical) then the 5.1 in the DVD player is doing nothing. If you use the 6-cable analog connection then the receiver is not decoding anything, just manipulating the analog singals (likely through an analog to digital conversion). I suppose it is possible some players may not put out some formats across the digital connection, but I am not sure.

The only reason I can see for using the 5.1 out is to direct-link to a set of amps without a receiver/pre-amp/processor otherwise in the chain.

FOr me, all I have is a co-ax connection from the DVD to the receiver.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your player plays DVD-A or SACD, then you want to use the analog connections. The receiver won't "decode" those. For sound from Video DVDs, the digital connection bypasses the player's decoder and uses the receiver for DD, DTS, etc. (assuming it has those).

So, if your receiver has all the sound processing you want and you don't have any DVD-A or SACD to play, then just use the digital connection. If you do want to play DVD-A or SACD, then hook up both like it says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.