AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are both in the same price range and I am not open to other brands because I get a discount on these two. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere to actually listen to either of these speakers in the DFW area. I would love feedback from you all, and if you know of a place that I could compare these I would love to know.

My musical preferences are all over the place, so I'll sum it up that I listen to everything but country, opera, and death metal. I plan to use these 70/30 Movies/Music, but music is most important to me. The only reason for that ratio is time. Most of my time with spent with my wife and kids and they are young so they don't enjoy just listening to music just yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a lot of experience with the F208, but I haven't heard the LS80 or seen any measurements so all I can do is make some general conclusions based on the design.

The first and probably biggest differentiator of the two speakers is the dispersion pattern. With the JBL, the use of a 2.5kHz crossover on an 8" woofer to a 2"inch tweeter in a bi-radial horn tells us that this speaker will have a rather narrow dispersion pattern. The Revel, by contrast, is designed to have about as wide of a dispersion pattern as is practically possible with directivity matched designs. All things being equal the Revel will tend to sound more spacious and natural as a result, but it may require more consideration about room reflection intensity.

The second difference is the maximum output capabilities. The JBL uses larger drivers through most of the audio band, and they are quite robust. The result is a higher sensitivity and power handling per the published specifications, which will be more comparable than most since they are both Harman companies. If you have a large room and like to listen loudly this is something to consider.

The final thing to consider is that there is no shortage of independent measurements of the F208 to demonstrate its excellence:

Stereophile
Sound and Vision
Secrets

But I can't find any measurements at all of the JBL. Due to the insidious nature of bias, my personal preference is to use all of the objective data I can in making a purchasing decision. This is especially true in the absence of personal auditions. If there are no measurements of a speaker anywhere I am a lot less likely to buy it, but your preferences may vary.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
They are both in the same price range and I am not open to other brands because I get a discount on these two. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere to actually listen to either of these speakers in the DFW area. I would love feedback from you all, and if you know of a place that I could compare these I would love to know.
They will both radiate different - and both look good/nice to me - in the end it is all
about what floats your boat and will work for you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback. Does anyone know somewhere in DFW that I can listen to either/both of these? I'm hesitant because I wouldn't want my choice to not be even as good as my current B&W 604S3's.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Does anyone know somewhere in DFW that I can listen to either/both of these? I'm hesitant because I wouldn't want my choice to not be even as good as my current B&W 604S3's.
Contact Starlight and see what they have
http://www.starlightav.com/08flatscreenpack.php

And, contact Starpower
http://www.star-power.com/contact-home-theater-store/

While I can not speak for your speakers - I would expect the Revel and JBL to be an
ear opener.

However, not an easy decision for you to make.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
That was an interesting thread. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that to mine, and not sure how much of an actual difference changing the internal wiring would make on sound.

I may have to part with some of my other stuff in order to get any of these.
I was just giving you a more detailed look at your speakers - I was not suggesting any mods.
I for sure, would not recommend changing the wire.

I would aim for the JBL or Revel.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My musical preferences are all over the place, so I'll sum it up that I listen to everything but country, opera, and death metal. I plan to use these 70/30 Movies/Music, but music is most important to me. The only reason for that ratio is time. Most of my time with spent with my wife and kids and they are young so they don't enjoy just listening to music just yet.

hi, i have heard both of them the jbl ls80 and the revel f208 and frankly i was blown away by the jbl ls80 although they are primarly home theater speakers. im not a audioholic and dont look at measurments anymore because after looking at the measurements of all the speakers the jbl were not as good as the other speakers i had heard a lot of speakers and the jbl ls80 to my ears just sounded the best in every aspect. i finally decided on the kef r700 and the only reason i went for the kef 700 was because this was my first set of speakers and the snob value of the KEF brand got the better of me although i actually liked the JBL ls80 better. hope this helps you

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go with the Revel. There are no measurements for the LS80 but I've heard what appears to be LS80's top-of-the-line cousin, the Everest D67000, and let's just say it's more of an HT speaker than a musically accurate one. The F208 is a reference level speaker that anyone would be hard pressed not to like. It's a much safer bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts