AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Currently have F208s and really thinking about going to Studio 2s. Has anyone compared them in the same system? What and how significant are the differences?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
LOL! Upgraditis hitting you already Rick?

Differences are minimal IMO. I would say if you didn't have the F208 already, the Studio2s would be a good option, but to move up from the F208 to the Studio2s is not worth the price. They sound VERY similar IMO. If you still have my PM regarding my comparison of the F208 to the Salon2s you should reread it.

Now if you can return the speakers for a full refund to go towards the Studio2s then that option may be more palatable, but only if you have the spare coin burning a hole in your wallet.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24556495

Differences are minimal IMO. I would say if you didn't have the F208 already, the Studio2s would be a good option, but to move up from the F208 to the Studio2s is not worth the price. They sound VERY similar IMO. If you still have my PM regarding my comparison of the F208 to the Salon2s you should reread it.

Now if you can return the speakers for a full refund to go towards the Studio2s then that option may be more palatable, but only if you have the spare coin burning a hole in your wallet.

I agree with Duc.

That is a common problem in life. If you don't get the flagship, you always run the risk of desiring it.

So if you want to upgrade, wait until the Salon3 comes out. I doubt if there is a significant difference either, but at least you will have the latest model.

The dealer cost of the Salons and especially the b-stock prices make it tempting, huh?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s/0_100#post_24556640

The dealer cost of the Salons and especially the b-stock prices make it tempting, huh?

No doubt. I got an offer I just couldn't refuse. I only had to sell one kidney to get my dream speakers. You are right about wanting to upgrade if you don't get what you really want to begin with. At least for me that was the case. I do like the sound of the F208 and it's possible if you blindfolded me I wouldn't be able to hear a difference, but I know even if I had bought the F208 at less than a third the cost of the Salon2s I still wouldn't be happy until I got the Salon2s. Heck even sighted I'll admit I couldn't tell you if the differences I heard was just me wanting to hear a difference to help justify the cost premium. Well, except for the fact that the Salon2s will dig deeper than the F208s, but since Rick's talking about the Studio2s then the differences might be minor especially if a sub is involved. The big thing for me is that I love the looks of the Salon2 considerably more than the F208 and that was ULTIMAtely the deciding factor.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s/0_100#post_24556640

So if you want to upgrade, wait until the Salon3 comes out.

Dangit! This is the second reference I've heard of the Ultima3. Looking at the date should I be taking this with a grain of salt or is there really a new model coming out sometime soon?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24556495

Sometimes I say out loud my thoughts. I reread your message and that helped calm me down. I'm going to look into preamps(currently have Peachtree Nova) and replacing my NAD 565bee CD player.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have the F-208 my uncle owns the Studios the Titanium drivers vs the Aluminum,and a bit more robust cabinet gives the studio roughly a 5 % advantage top to bottom in precision

And will go a few db lower in the Bass. The new 208 are so well designed they are very well balanced and compete well with speakers up to $10k in the bunch I have listened to.

Is the Studio worth 3 x as much No way .i would much rather buy a used pair of Solon-2 now that is a Big improvement for $11k can be bought.that is what I may do next year.

For now maybe upgrade cables or power cords.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have the F-208 my uncle owns the Studios the Titanium drivers vs the Aluminum,and a bit more robust cabinet gives the studio roughly a 5 % advantage top to bottom in precision

And will go a few db lower in the Bass. The new 208 are so well designed they are very well balanced and compete well with speakers up to $10k in the bunch I have listened to.

Is the Studio worth 3 x as much No way .i would much rather buy a used pair of Solon-2 now that is a Big improvement for $11k can be bought.that is what I may do next year.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24556912

Dangit! This is the second reference I've heard of the Ultima3. Looking at the date should I be taking this with a grain of salt or is there really a new model coming out sometime soon?

Well, we know it's inexorable. Ultima3, Ultima4, Ultima5, etc. We can't stop time or blame Revel for trying to make money.

The important thing is that we've been there and done it. It's good enough for a lifetime, at least for me.

I have no desire for the Ultima-X.

Been there. Done it.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas2122  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24604589

Why? Save your money for the Salon2. Wires and cords won't do anything for your system, not even 0.1% more.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24604686

Why? Save your money for the Salon2. Wires and cords won't do anything for your system, not even 0.1% more.

True that, I'm 12 gauge landscape wire from Home Depot because it's black. Can't tell a difference between monoprice, stranded vs solid, etc. Only reason I would upgrade is for the looks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

After a recent repositioning of my F208s, I'm very happy with them. They are now 8' apart and the sound is more detailed, focused, and natural. I would like to compare both the Studio 2s and Salon 2s to the F208s just to hear with my own ears how much of a difference exist between the three. I know I will make changes/upgrades, but I want to make cost effective changes...what provides the most for my money. My priorities are a speaker that disappears, good tonality, images beyond the speakers if the recording allows, and not forward sounding.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24607100

After a recent repositioning of my F208s, I'm very happy with them. They are now 8' apart and the sound is more detailed, focused, and natural. I would like to compare both the Studio 2s and Salon 2s to the F208s just to hear with my own ears how much of a difference exist between the three. I know I will make changes/upgrades, but I want to make cost effective changes...what provides the most for my money. My priorities are a speaker that disappears, good tonality, images beyond the speakers if the recording allows, and not forward sounding.

The music recordings and mixing are also very important. Some albums just don't sound as good as others no matter the speakers.

Have you listened to the "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" and "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City" albums?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

If you had an opportunity to go from Revel F208s to Studio 2s or Aerial 7Ts, which one would you choose. The price is the same; therefore is not a consideration.

·
Banned
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1  /t/1525244/revel-f208s-vs-studio-2s#post_24628537

If you had an opportunity to go from Revel F208s to Studio 2s or Aerial 7Ts, which one would you choose. The price is the same; therefore is not a consideration.

Neither!

I would go to either of these instead:

Induction Dynamics ID1.1, ID1.15, or RBH T-30LSE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts